German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I’ll leave the breed guessing to the experts. She’s a beauty, whatever the breed! I’ll trade you one of mine for her. I hope you like white and crazy, because that’s what I would be giving you! Lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
What a beauty! I laughed when I read the post only after so many people including my trainer said my boy Jack was Malinois or Mal Mix. It was making me straight up crazy ...lol So I did the embark dna.
Came back 100% GSD. It is funny for months all I could see was German Shepherd, then all I could see was Mal and now as he is now 15 months old. Today is our 1 year Gotcha day, and all I see is my beautiful dog.

I love his floppy ear baby pic lol!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
What a beauty! I laughed when I read the post only after so many people including my trainer said my boy Jack was Malinois or Mal Mix. It was making me straight up crazy ...lol So I did the embark dna.
Came back 100% GSD. It is funny for months all I could see was German Shepherd, then all I could see was Mal and now as he is now 15 months old. Today is our 1 year Gotcha day, and all I see is my beautiful dog.

I love his floppy ear baby pic lol!
Exactly why I didn’t guess! I would have said Mal mix with your guy, and just GSD for the OP.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The seller says she is pure Malinois whatever it doesn't matter as long as she has a good personality.one thing do you think 5 months is to old to get a Maligator

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
The seller says she is pure Malinois whatever it doesn't matter as long as she has a good personality.one thing do you think 5 months is to old to get a Maligator
Do you mean the pup is 5 months now, and you’re wondering if you should hold out for a younger pup?

We have a 10 month old foster Mal, and I have to say, it was super nice not having to potty train him! His temperament so far is great, very little issues with him. So I wouldn’t shy away from an older pup if everything else checks out with her. I actually prefer going older, you see more of their temperament, drive, biddability, basically what you have to look forward to. Just my own personal preference. I’m one of the oddballs that don’t actually enjoy puppies.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wouldn’t say 5 months is too old, just start up on that training asap!
An advantage of getting a older pup is a better view of what their adult temperament will be like, unlike you could get with a younger pup from questionable lineage.
She looks more mal than not. If she has Shepherd, it’s probably 25% but I wouldn’t know

This was my malinois at 5 months, much thinner face and overall leaner build.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Is your wife going to be able to handle a Mal? With all her health concerns, bringing in a 5 month old Mal that will be at home with her during the work day may not be the wisest choice. I know you really want a puppy, I’ve read through all your posts, but it still seems like a bad time to bring a new pet in. My 5 month old GSD gives me a run for my money, and there is no way I could manage her by myself from a hospital bed.

Maybe you should put off the puppy until you’ve been able to emotionally cope with the terminal diagnosis your wife has. I think putting anything more on her plate at this point is cruel. Unless you have a way to take the pup to work with you every single day, I would pass in the pup, whether it’s Mal, GSD, or a doodle of some sort.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry was trying to figure out how to show quoted text yes my wife and I are talking about how to best go about getting a new member of the household and yes I think it would be to much for her and it would be hard plus she is used to the Wolf Hybrids we raised 20 below zero and they still laid out in the open so when I said inside dog that raised concerns she is not bed ridden but she is not steady on her feet she can let our other dogs in and out but it will be totally up to her as much as I want something positive ie a new dog my wife is most important

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Sorry was trying to figure out how to show quoted text yes my wife and I are talking about how to best go about getting a new member of the household and yes I think it would be to much for her and it would be hard plus she is used to the Wolf Hybrids we raised 20 below zero and they still laid out in the open so when I said inside dog that raised concerns she is not bed ridden but she is not steady on her feet she can let our other dogs in and out but it will be totally up to her as much as I want something positive ie a new dog my wife is most important
Don't do it. I am assuming that you work out of the home for some portion of the day. That would make your wife the primary caretaker for this puppy while you're gone. This is not fair to your wife, the puppy or you.

I know it is hard, but you really need to wait until your life is more conducive to meeting the needs of a new dog.

Sheilah

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sheila: yes I totaly understand what you are saying but I am so depressed happy pills only make me sleep 15 hours a day and I'm not going to dump on my wife she has enough on her plate she is the one that wanted a puppy not a trained young adult I have talked to people about my probs. but to be honest they don't know crap my cats and dogs are more comfort than people I don't know maybe a new dog won't even help

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey Luke, I am really sorry you are going through this, it must be extremely stressful.

One thing about malinois, though, is they aren't real good at being just comfort dogs. They reflect your mood. It's a harsh mirror sometimes. If you are in an unstable place mentally, and I'm not blaming you for that at all, the malinois will reflect that. In ways you may not expect or like, and that could even be dangerous.

If you want a dog for comfort, find one that is more happy-go-lucky and resilient despite your mood. A well bred lab can be a wonderful companion. I don't think a malinois or mali mix is a good choice.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hey Luke, I am really sorry you are going through this, it must be extremely stressful.

One thing about malinois, though, is they aren't real good at being just comfort dogs. They reflect your mood. It's a harsh mirror sometimes. If you are in an unstable place mentally, and I'm not blaming you for that at all, the malinois will reflect that. In ways you may not expect or like, and that could even be dangerous.

If you want a dog for comfort, find one that is more happy-go-lucky and resilient despite your mood. A well bred lab can be a wonderful companion. I don't think a malinois or mali mix is a good choice.
I agree. Even affection is 1000 miles an hour with them. They can be great dogs, but I don't think they're what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I honestly don’t understand why you’re getting another dog at all. You already have dogs and cats at home. What will a new dog bring to the table that the ones you already have don’t? How will the new pup be any different? You don’t have to answer those questions. I just think you should seriously think this through. Adding more work and stress doesn’t seem to be something that you and your wife can handle right now, and I’m not sure how a new dog will change anything for the better.

No matter what you do, good luck. It sounds like a tough situation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have 2 dogs now and 3 cats two inside and one dumpper that's outside my Aussie used to be my trail dog but she is old and hurt her hip 5 or 6 years ago she's good for a couple ball tosses and car rides then she is wore out we went to the woods she went down the hill and I thought I was going to have to pack her out and then my deer legged Chihuahua he is a carictor but he is the wife's dog and he is old to so he sleeps a lot I wouldn't trade them for anything a new dog I could train, explore with go to the lakes I'm right by the river it would be positive

Attachments

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I’m not going through anything as emotionally distraught as what you must be experiencing. But I can tell you that I was so worried and scared about my c-spine surgery tomorrow, I kept “collecting” things to distract me from the real issue. I didn’t want to face the fear, so I kept myself busy doing nonsensical things. Like agreeing to foster a 10 month old Mal. After purchasing a GSD puppy who is now 5 months old. So we now have 4 dogs in our house, and I finally broke down and had to admit to myself that I was being self destructive.

Look at it this way. I know you want to have a companion that can go on hikes with you, after work and weekends, but where is that going to leave your wife? She’s not always going to be there when you get back from those hikes. I know how tempting it is to just need a break, and that is so completely understandable, but rather than replacing your wife’s time with a dog, join a support group. Spend some time talking to people that understand what you are going through. Let your emotions and fears out that way, and come home clear headed to be there to support your wife.

The puppy can wait, but you’ll never get that time back with your wife.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
They both look like good companions! My dog is old too, he still enjoys his car rides and a very slow walk at the park which includes a lot of standing, smelling the air and listening to the birds and rise and fall of the locusts now days. he usually goes home and sleeps too, but I feel like a satisfied sleep. Sounds like you're in an area that would be great for a trip like that for you, your wife and the older fellas! Grab the camp chairs, a rest by the river, slow walk in an easy patch in the woods could be a quite peaceful morning.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Going from older, calm, and settled dogs to a bitey, destructive, and hyper puppy can be a huge shock to the household in the best of circumstances. We got Remi in May of 18 at 12 weeks and he still creates some chaos in our home at a year and a half. He's a great dog, we are lucky he has such a great temperament overall, but his off switch is still a work in progress and that go go go can wear on you and the older dogs in the home.

I understand the urge to have an active companion, but a puppy will most likely bring more headache than enjoyment at this point. I'd look for an adult, one that does well with older dogs and has an off switch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts