German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aprox what age do male dogs start lifting their legs to relieve themselves?

Quincy stretches so far when he goes that I am amazed he doesnt hit his front legs.

He is 5 1/2 months and my first boy as well as my first shepherd.

So far, other than a few medical scares, he has been a blast.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Congrats on your first shepherd!!! My male Cody is my first shepherd also. He started lifting his leg at about 5 months. He got neutered, had never lifted his leg before and then he started. I guess it depends on the dog, some males never lift their legs, some do it right away, some take a little longer to start. Cody would mark every tree and post if possible, but obviously I won't let him.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I have a 5 year old male that will stretch to pee or lift his leg. Most of the time he stretches to pee and only lifts his leg to mark. I don't have a problem with a male not lifting there leg to pee.

Side note: I have one female who just hasn't figured out how to lift her leg, so she tries to back up to things to mark. Another female lifts her leg to mark, but squats to pee.

·
2,967 Posts
You're lucky he doesn't pee on his feet! We had months of stinky pee feet. And if that wasn't bad enough, sometimes he was smelling the ground, starting to pee, and walking forward with his back legs, and then we'd get pee face!

Argos didn't start to lift his leg until about 11 months (He's still intact) and only does it to mark.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Originally Posted By: JKlatskyYou're lucky he doesn't pee on his feet! We had months of stinky pee feet. And if that wasn't bad enough, sometimes he was smelling the ground, starting to pee, and walking forward with his back legs, and then we'd get pee face!

Argos didn't start to lift his leg until about 11 months (He's still intact) and only does it to mark.
have to agree with what JKlatsky said!
Kelso was around 11-12 months (intact) when he first lifted his leg and also only does it when he marks,

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Rafi lifted his leg for the first time today! He seemed shocked about the whole thing.
He is between 15 and 18 months old. Both of my females have lifted their legs to pee. I think Rafi has been taking notes from Chama who always lifts her leg and pees on top of his pee!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do Female GSD's lift there leg like males do... I have never seen that before, my bitch ridgeback would just squat like I thought all bitches did in all breeds. I have never ever seen a bitch lift her leg to go....

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
It's not the norm, but some bitches will mark like males, up to and including lifting their legs. Generally those with very dominant personalities. Our Kali lifts her leg sometimes, but most of the time she squats. We had another bitch years ago, Greta, who lifted her leg all the time.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My boxer marks like a male when off the property.

Quincy doesn't leave his scent. He prefers to do his business at home. He even has special places he will do his business if possible. I am hoping this means he has a submissive personality.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Off topic but a quick answer hopefully...somewhat related.

Why does female number 2's stink so so so so bad? I've help overnight a few fosters and both my friends females are so stinky.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Chevy is 5 months and just recently started lifting his leg sometimes but only an inch or two off the ground
Otherwise, he just stands there and goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts