German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I heard a person at the vet one time say something about how their 8 month old male had gotten their two year old female pregnant. How young can a male be and still get a female pregnant?

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
About 7 months.

They are sexually mature at 6 months of age but their sperm count may be low and some registries have a minimum breeding age requirement of 7-8 months.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Five months is the first big testosterone surge - I would be watchful of intact males around unspayed females at that point easily.

In fact, call me cautious, smart, paranoid, or whatever, but if I had a young male pup around unspayed females in season, I would separate.

I know people on this board have dogs that are well behaved or don't show interest, but I have 2 male mixes here who were hyper aware of females, their urine, etc, from a very young age and I am sure if they were around a female in heat, a breeding would have occurred - whether or not their sperm was ready prior to 5 months, I don't know, but they were ready to roll.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I'm with Jean. The rescue I foster for knows not to send me any females older than 10 weeks or so, unless they are spayed. Being a rescue, the females often get spayed at 4-6 months so thus far, I've only had one female foster and she was 6-7 months when I got her. Better safe than sorry!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
A Norwegian Forest cat breeder I spoke with some yrs ago said that sexual behavior presents earlier when intact animals are raised together. Given this, anyone with an intact male & an intact female should err on the side of extreme caution & not assume they're too young or not interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts