German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a few searches and maybe I didnt look hard enough, but what are some of the pros and cons of having a either sex? I got back from talking to my first breeder today and was very excited and needless to say fell in love with all of his dogs. He gave me some insight on the issue but I am looking for a little more. Can you guys lend me some of your knowledge?

Jason

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Well, there really aren't any huge differences, but that are some personality differences. Males tend to be what some would call goofier, while others would say females are more serious. Both dogs can definately be around children, or cats, and can be protective, reguardless of sex. Both can also be serious, and reguardless of goofyness, both dogs can protect you if need be, reguardless of personality.

I've heard males are easier to train. I can definately attest to that because my boy Apollo is the easiest dog I have ever trained. However, my other boy Zeus is quite stubborn, so the easy ability to train in a male isn't a guarentee. If you get a boy, you won't have to deal with a female's cycle, it's usually less expensive to neuter.

I think that about covers it, if there's anything I missed, I'm sure others will quickly add to it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
GSDTrain beat me to it, but I had the same question a few months back. I ended up with a female, but the decision was completely based on personality/fit rather than sex. Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts