German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am about to get my first German Shepherd although I have worked with the breed a lot in the past and have owned high-energy dogs of other breeds. I currently only have one dog, a senior female Golden who is very laid-back and submissive (even if another dog tries to fight with her, she just backs off instead of fighting back.)

I did a lot of searching for breeders and I found two good ones who have more "moderate" temperament dogs (not extremely high-drive intense) which I think would be good for my first GSD. I am planning to do dog sports (agility, obedience, tracking) and also hopefully animal assisted therapy with the dog.

I am trying to decide between two puppies currently available. One is a 12 week old male, the other is a 7 week female (will be available at 8 wks old). They both have ancestors who were sport and therapy dogs. The male is a little more advanced, he's had some training already and a lot of socialization from the breeder. The female is located a lot closer so I would be better able to visit, but the male is a bit older so his personality and temperament are a little better known and the breeder thinks he would make a good therapy dog. The female's breeder said she is very sweet, social and outgoing.
I am not sure what to pick, or possibly I should visit the female since they are close, and then decide? They are about 1.5 hours, the other is about 5.5-6 hours away.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I would take the male. You said it yourself, he's a few weeks older, his temperment is a little more known, and he has training in the direction that you want to go. He already has socialization. I also think that since you have a female golden that you should get a male. It will be easier for them to get along in the long run IMO.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDOwner2008 I also think that since you have a female golden that you should get a male. It will be easier for them to get along in the long run IMO.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD
Originally Posted By: GSDOwner2008 I also think that since you have a female golden that you should get a male. It will be easier for them to get along in the long run IMO.
agreed!!
plus I am a little bias for males anyway

·
Registered
340 Posts
I third that motion...always best to mix the genders. 2 females could (not always) cause issues.

I've had 4 GSD's in my lifetime...3 males and 1 female. The males were much easier to train and live with. They were Ambred; and my female comes from German imports...difference (I dunno).

But, she's definately more of a handful; I should have considered SchH with her...sorry...another story for another thread.

Go for the boy!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to get my first GSD. I really want to adopt from the shelters to help rescue a dog.

Just wondering the thoughts on boy vs. girl?

I've noticed much more girls avail.

I've always like boy dogs for not particular reason. I want a companion dog and also to help me feel safe when I'm home alone.

I was thinking about training the dog to be a protection dog at first. After some research and talk on the forum I think its a bad idea. But during the research I talked to a man who sells protection dogs $15,000 (ridiculous if you ask me) and he recommended a female.

What's your take?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
He probably reccomends the female because they can be more serious than a male. Personally, there aren't huge differences to me. IMHO males are easier to train. I don't like dealing with heat cycles, so that also rules me in favor of a boy. Spaying a female is more costly than neutering a male. Both sexes are great with people and children. I think males a more easy going, and goofy, more loveable, but females can be this way too. Boys are bigger than females.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If the females are spayed do they still have the heat cycles? At this shelter the adoption fee includes the spaying or neturing. Is it a really big difference on how much harder it is to train a female than a male?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
No, females don't have heat cycles after they are spayed. Reguarding training, it's not a huge difference, it really depends on the temperment of the dog. I could have a very stubborn male dog and he would be harder to train then a very willing female dog, and vice versa.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I keep reading that females are more serious than the males and that males tend to be the goofballs and more lovable. But in terms of females being serious does that simply mean that they are more alert more often than males, or what? Can someone elaborate on this a little for me?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I keep reading that females are more serious than the males and that males tend to be the goofballs and more lovable. But in terms of females being serious does that simply mean that they are more alert more often than males, or what? Can someone elaborate on this a little for me?

That's such a great question. I would really like to know too.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have had both males (mostly males) and females..Right now I'm on my second female GSD (I also have a female aussie)..

With all of mine, I have found the males are more biddable and easy to train. Not necessarily goofballs they can be tho, but more clingy maybe??(Not a bad thing) They tend to mature later (also not a bad thing) Can be a tad more territorial.

My females,,the first being a czech rescue, and my new puppy being slovakian/ddr/czech BOTH were/are very smart, very high energy, learn fast and retain it, a tad more independent but very owner bonded, maybe not as physically clingy, but definately aware of where "you" are at all times, more alert as to what's going on around them, they both also seem to bore quickly,,in other words,,teach them something, to much repetition and they bore quickly..they want to move on to something else..They seem to mature faster. The girls while comical, are more serious about what training/working than my boyz have been

THIS has "my" experience with the dogs I've lived with,,and I've had american lines, ddr and have czech/ddr lines..

ALL dogs are different even within the lines/everything depends on the individual dog..

For me,,I prefer a male for a companion dog, and I prefer my girls for agility/obedience that type of thing..
Diane

·
Registered
22 Posts
Diane would you say then that you would avoid having a female as a companion house dog? Is the males clinginess a bad thing where they are constantly following you around, or is it just more noticeable than females?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I know you addressed your post to Diane, but I love how clingy my Apollo is, but at the same time, my Zeus who is Apollo's half brother, is not very clingy at all. He's affectionate when you call him, but he's very independent. Apollo will come up and give you affection, and loves being around me all the time. Like Diane said, it really depends on the dog.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
absolutely not,,I love my female gsd's,,they were/are both great house dogs,,,they settle well, but, I swear sleep with one eye open :)) I also found with mine anyhow,,the girlz were/are not big alert barkers, tho they are always on alert. (my aussies have bigger mouths)..My male gsd right now is also pretty quiet, but does know what's going on.

I totally agree it depends on the individual dog..I have the luxury of being able to spend ALOT of time with my dogs thus, they get alot of exercise/mental and physical.. It could very well be also, that I have some high energy dogs here, that "require" alot of exercise both mental / physical.. and that also may have to with their genetic background. Let's just say if I didn't give them alot of exercise,,I'd probably have some pretty frustrated destructive dogs on my hands.

My male right now, is VERY clingy,,if I stop short, well you get the picture,,he has to be "where" I am,,sure sometimes annoying, but not to where it irritates me. That dog is going on 12 and has slept ON my bed every nite of his life :))) My female puppy is somewhat the same, but not physically clingy,,she has to be in the same room, but not "rightthere"..Yet neither suffer separation anxiety,,they are ok if I leave etc...

I like a dog that 'wants' to be with me,,it is a bond that is not only flattering, but makes for a willingness to please which makes for easy training :))) When I get a puppy,,I am constantly rewarding for good behaviors , I hand feed alot, I work on "come" ALL the time, and this has always worked for me in creating a tight bond.

So again,,depends on the dog, not really the gender, the above has just been my experiences with my own dogs..ok done rambling :))
Diane

·
Banned
3,320 Posts
Just my two cents, my female dogs were both more clingy then my present male. He always want to be in eye shot of me but will sit across the room to do so. My females were not like that. They both laid directly under my feet so that when I got up I tripped on them. When I walked and turned around, I tripped on them. Max does follow me but he gives me space.

I am starting to think that males are easier to train as well. One of my females "got it" quickly but was just stubborn and listened when she felt like it. Max is pretty consistent except when the cats are involved

Max was my first male and is from working lines. One of my females was from working lines and the other Ambred. So sometimes I catch myself wondering if he is this way because he is male or because he is from working lines. He paces around much more then both of my other dogs ever did even after a workout. His energy level is way up there!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Depending on the type of therapy work you want to do, I'd consider the female for a couple of reasons.

1. I prefer to get a puppy at 8 weeks.
2. The size of a female may be more welcome in facilities.

I have and love both, so no bias here.

·
Registered
31,895 Posts
As I currently have females, I am running into this problem: everyone wants males right now.

I was discussing it with a friend and she popped out with males are cheaper to keep. Cheaper??? How? "Well," she said, "the neuter is cheaper than a spay." Well, for a couple of bucks more you want to feed the dog 33% more for his life time? I just cannot figure how anyone can use THAT as a reason to get a male as opposed to a female -- the cost of speuter.

I find females absolutely awesome. I find them quicker to learn and very willing to please, loyal, jealous, playful, and a little less quick to accept the stranger than the boys (this is because they are smarter, it may also have to do with the dam needing to protect the den and pups and pack while the dog is simply a nice ornament.)

Leaving home, I protect my boys WITH MY BITCHES! Bitches fit easily anywhere and the vast majority do not lift their legs. While the majority of dogs do. As long as the leg is lifted in appropriate places who cares?

I find bitches cleaner and for the most part quieter and easier to manage -- not just to train. Dogs, in my opinion, are puppies longer, have more energy and exhuberance, can knock you down with friendliness, and can be a harder sell to landlords, etc. because of their size.

So why does everyone want dogs? I guess with the stock market and bailout going every which way, maybe people are thinking about going to the matresses. In that case, maybe they want Cujo to protect their matresses. Silly people! Babsy or Jenna or Tori or Whitney or Heidi will do a much better job for two thirds the maintenance cost!

I think police officers prefer males for their work because of the size and the fact that there will be less down time. Occasionally spayed bitches are not as enthusiastic about training as unaltered bitches. I can just see a criminal stop to admire the diaper on the police bitch..... However, in this last litter, no way would my male have been Schutzhund material, but I have two bitch pups that would probably do great.

I think that more than looking for a male or female, you should be asking what personality traits you are looking for in a canine. What do you want to DO with the pup. Then find the bitch that matches and you will be very, very happy.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts