German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Males are friendlier and I like how they are bigger, larger head, muscles, etc...

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I think it totally depends on the dog.... there are some females I like and some I don't and same goes for males.

Out of my two (I have one of each) I enjoy both for different reasons, but that is more about their personalities than their gender.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Female, because that's was dumped at the Laundromat that day....

·
Registered
43 Posts
At the moment I prefer females because I prefer their smaller size for agility.

I agree that personality traits are not gender specific. I think gender really can only speak with clarity towards their size, and of course their mating habits.

Some will generalize that females are more independent and males are more lovers I think this really just describes personality traits that are specific to the individual dog. While we can generalize that one more frequently has a specific trait, however accurate you find it, it's still a generalization.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I'm with elizabeth, depends on the dog.

I was always a male shepherd die hard, until I got a female many years ago, she was the 'best', I am now down to one female gsd (my 2nd), and love her to death, but I miss my males and will have another one day..

I like both genders for different reasons, the males because of their devotion, velcro-ey, biddability, easy going , and the females I've had because of their daring, faster maturing, also devotion, more independent but rightthere temperaments. Kinda hard to explain but I would take either gender depending on the dog itself

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I have had 2 females and 2 males. I prefer the males.

That said, my females are/were the cuddlers. My current female thinks she is a lap dog.

But my males.... I love their presence. They fill the room. They exude power. When I lost my last boy, I knew right away I wanted another boy. Ike was not a cuddler, a mommas boy for sure, but not a cuddler. I "forced" our cuddling. And so far my puppy is very similar in that respect.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have two female dogs right now (and one more on the way!) and a male. Though only one of the dogs is a shepherd (female). I generally prefer female dogs over males. I love my boy - but I wouldn't want more than one of him! The boys that I have had generally are more happy go lucky go with the flow dogs. I like how my females are constantly trying to out think and second guess me. They would prefer having things their way verses my way - which makes life more interesting.

Bea

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Depends...

People fear the males, when it's the females that will 'do the job.'

I have one of each and love them both dearly.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I prefer the males ... IMHO the boys are generally easier to live with, more laid back, go with the flow, willing to please. IMHO the term "bitch" is a very honest word. My female GSDs (Tasha, Too, Honey, and Faith) have all been little stinkers ... lots of fun to live with, they use their brains, they've all been brassy ... well let's just say they've all acted like little bitches.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I prefer the males ... IMHO the boys are generally easier to live with, more laid back, go with the flow, willing to please. IMHO the term "bitch" is a very honest word. My female GSDs (Tasha, Too, Honey, and Faith) have all been little stinkers ... lots of fun to live with, they use their brains, they've all been brassy ... well let's just say they've all acted like little bitches.
LOL, definitely agree. My female dog is such a little sneak. I catch her all the time, even now, at 16 years old! Not to mention, she has quite the 'tude!

I have to say I'm still a bit undecided. Berlin is my first male, but I do like their disposition a bit more. They are so goofy, laid back, total mommas boy...he lives for me. Males seem to be 'less serious', but can be when needed. He is a total ham, working his charm with anyone he comes in contact with. He is also way more affectionate, BUT not a cuddler. My female, she loves me, but everything is on her own time. She will not follow me around, doesnt HAVE to know what I'm doing 24/7. Females i've noticed are more motherly toward their family (esp to young kids) and puppies.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Both Anna and Lisl share that Lil' Bitch attitude from time to time. Molly was not so much like that. She was more laid back.

Anna was, and Lisl can be pushy, and a bit stubborn at times, where Bear and Ossie would take direction without hesitation or question. "Want me to do that? OK."

Lisl is more like, "You want me to do that? Why? OK then, I will."

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I love the males, but I wouldn't mind a very well bred female.

Every female GSD I knew had a screw or two loose and they came from very well known breeders. Every male just has this 'love bug' personality and they would do anything for their owner, Finn included. Males just also seem to have command of the area at all times and the power just pours off of them. Besides the color, Finn just captures the eyes of everyone wherever we go just because he exhudes confidence and power. Females also don't seem to command the same attention and give off the same authority that males do...

It is about the personality of each dog, though, but if I had the choice, I'd take a male over a female any day.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
if from the same lines the females seem to be more serious but not always, much harder for them to mix with other dogs they are much more willing to use their jaws to their full potential in fights it seems, I have never seen males fight for real. Seem much more moody like some days they are happy but they have bad says. Males seem to usually have only good days lol JMHO from what i have seen. I like females more.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Males, no cycle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts