German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted to see if you have ever noticed any difference in "strength" of urine on your lawn between male and female GSD's.
Is there any differences, and if yes, which? (Which one does "destroy" your lawn more?)

Thank you.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Urine toxicity to grass is probably determined by what you feed your animal. I would not think sex would have anything to do with it ...

But that's just my Dos Centavos !

·
5,627 Posts
I've heard it said both ways. I have found that my male fosters do much more damage to my lawn than my female resident dog does. I also notice a much stronger odor coming from the males' urine. But like Stogey said, they aren't fed the same foods.

I think it's a toss up as to which does more damage and really depends on the individual dog and as well as their diet.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
currently our male does the most damage but he also insists on peeing in the exact same spot every time. The girls at least move around so they dont cause as much damage.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
currently our male does the most damage but he also insists on peeing in the exact same spot every time. The girls at least move around so they dont cause as much damage.
thats kind of nice he goes in the exact same spot, one patch of dead grass instead of hundreds lol

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My female's is worse. All my dogs are fed the same thing and have free access to fresh water. My male pees a lot more, and a lot more often. Maybe my female's is just naturally more concentrated?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thats kind of nice he goes in the exact same spot, one patch of dead grass instead of hundreds lol
yeah but he's now taken to peeing on our air conditioner which in really hot weather the house smells bad and we cant just shut off the AC because that would actually be considered an emergency if it were to go out!!! darn dog. i would prefer the dead patches lol.

My female's is worse. All my dogs are fed the same thing and have free access to fresh water. My male pees a lot more, and a lot more often. Maybe my female's is just naturally more concentrated?
i've actually heard that the females is more concentrated. i guess it comes down to what they're fed and how much water they drink though.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
yeah but he's now taken to peeing on our air conditioner which in really hot weather the house smells bad and we cant just shut off the AC because that would actually be considered an emergency if it were to go out!!! darn dog. i would prefer the dead patches lol.

i've actually heard that the females is more concentrated. i guess it comes down to what they're fed and how much water they drink though.
I have heard the same thing about females. Can't really say which of ours do the most damage. Akira especially is rough on the lawn just past the patio because she runs out every AM and PM and pee's right when her paws leave the patio. The dead grass there probably has more to do with the constant straem of urine hitting it in the same spot than the fact that she's a girl. When Kodi is in the kennel he pee's in the same spot every time (lifts his leg on the side, so the urine hits outside the kennel into the yard) and that spot is deader than a doornail. Too much pee in one spot whether m or f will kill the lawn. The others pee everywhere and don't see to do any harm to the backyard.

Zoppa - have you thought about using some cheap field fencing and a couple metal t-posts to set a mini fence a couple feet off the AC unit to keep him from pee'ing directly on it?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I had always heard that females kill the grass with their urine...but now have a male that is almost 2 y.o. and STILL doesn't lift his leg and we have a spotted lawn! I think it appears that female urine is worse because they will go anywhere on the lawn whereas males will go on bushes, fence posts, trees, etc so it isn't as noticeable as right in the middle of the lawn.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I have heard the same thing about females. Can't really say which of ours do the most damage. Akira especially is rough on the lawn just past the patio because she runs out every AM and PM and pee's right when her paws leave the patio. The dead grass there probably has more to do with the constant straem of urine hitting it in the same spot than the fact that she's a girl. When Kodi is in the kennel he pee's in the same spot every time (lifts his leg on the side, so the urine hits outside the kennel into the yard) and that spot is deader than a doornail. Too much pee in one spot whether m or f will kill the lawn. The others pee everywhere and don't see to do any harm to the backyard.

Zoppa - have you thought about using some cheap field fencing and a couple metal t-posts to set a mini fence a couple feet off the AC unit to keep him from pee'ing directly on it?

i would LOVE to do that but we're not allowed. We live on base and they have all these ridiculous rules and they just keep making more ridiculous ones we're stuck following. its annoying. cant wait to move out of base housing for the simple fact we have more control over where we live and how we do things. Thank you for the suggestion though!!! Going to do that next house.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the answers......now I'm confused even more :) hahahah
Little while ago I was the impression that females ruin lawn little less since they don't need to mark their territory that often. Now I understand that their urine might be "stronger" then male one, since they are more "affectionate".....hence my own conclusion - no difference male vs female with urine on the lawn - both might be hit or miss....
This topic would we great for "Myth-busters" :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Thank you all for the answers......now I'm confused even more :) hahahah
Little while ago I was the impression that females ruin lawn little less since they don't need to mark their territory that often. Now I understand that their urine might be "stronger" then male one, since they are more "affectionate".....hence my own conclusion - no difference male vs female with urine on the lawn - both might be hit or miss....
This topic would we great for "Myth-busters" :)
maybe you should submit it to them... wonder what they would conclude. and i wonder if it varies by breed?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Brody pees in the same spot as well everytime. I try to gear him towards a different spot but he just goes right back to the same place! And yes, he has definitley killed that patch of grass...It's a large circle of dead grass lol.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
:spittingcoffee:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts