German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So not a huge issue in my option. My boy took a while to start putting his leg up. He's around 17 months now and he ONLY lifts his leg to mark and does regular pee's standing straight with all four paws on the ground (no leg lifting).

The only issue I have with this is that he always pee's all over his two front legs.

Which is less than ideal!

Not the biggest problem in the world and I'm not sure I can even do anything about it?

·
Registered
634 Posts
My boy sometimes does the same thing. He seems completely unaware that he is peeing on himself. Weirdo.

Reactions: Loki.777

·
Super Moderator
9,114 Posts
perhaps you can control where/how he relieves.... take him to an area that may encourage him to lift his leg, or natural surfaces can help (absorb) if he’s actually just being close to his front legs and it’s the splash that’s getting him. otherwise... yeah, you may just be stuck with it.

Reactions: Loki.777

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
How old was he when he was neutered?
If he was neutered before sexual maturity, this may be what's caused this to happen. Hormones are involved in the leg-lifting behaviour.

My male used to pee on the front counter at the vet's office. It was embarrassing- EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!

It didn't matter how many chances I gave him to pee before going inside, because it was a marking behaviour.

Had him neutered, and the behaviour stopped. He still lifted his leg to pee outdoors, of course, but the indoor marking stopped.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
perhaps you can control where/how he relieves.... take him to an area that may encourage him to lift his leg, or natural surfaces can help (absorb) if he’s actually just being close to his front legs and it’s the splash that’s getting him. otherwise... yeah, you may just be stuck with it.
Nope the jet hits his front legs directly. Even when he does lift his leg he often misses his intended target and sometimes he still manages to hit his led directly with the steam.

Perhaps it's down to the way he's built.

Thanks for the idea of a pee post. I think adding something to encourage him to lift his leg in garden is actually a great idea.

I your idea is a great place to start.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How old was he when he was neutered?
If he was neutered before sexual maturity, this may be what's caused this to happen. Hormones are involved in the leg-lifting behaviour.

My male used to pee on the front counter at the vet's office. It was embarrassing- EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!

It didn't matter how many chances I gave him to pee before going inside, because it was a marking behaviour.

Had him neutered, and the behaviour stopped. He still lifted his leg to pee outdoors, of course, but the indoor marking stopped.
He's not neutered.

·
Registered
32,563 Posts
He's a boy. They all do it. Just have baby wipes available and wipe his front legs down.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Ugh I board a poodle who pees all over himself all the time. We wipe him with grooming wipes or hose his front legs depending on how bad it is. He was neutered as an adult also, FYI, and he did it prior to neuter as well.

he Often lifts the leg a little but still shoots it so far forward he just gets all over his front legs.

I had 2 labs board where the younger one peed on his brother on purpose! When the old guy would squat the younger one would go lift his leg on his brother! Never seen a dog deliberately use a dog as a pee post day after day (we discouraged it as much as possible but he always wanted to)

·
Registered
254 Posts
My guy used to pee on his front legs all the time - even with his leg lifted. Now that he’s older (2.5 years old now), his aim is better, but still not great. He frequently misses what he’s aiming for when he’s trying to mark things. At least he stops peeing now when he feels it hit his front leg. Maybe it’s an experience thing?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
My older dog peed directly on his front legs for about a year (still not neutered) even when he eventually lifted his leg. The angle of the dangle wasn't correct I guess. Annoying but he grew out of it, I have no ideas when.
And no, not all males do it, my younger pup never has.

·
Registered
Sutter Cain (dog), Jori (cat), Skeeter (cat)
146 Posts
Sutter Cain peed on his front legs once and apparently he noticed because he immediately stopped his stream and I've never seen him do it again. He's still barely leg lifting but he will stretch himself to a silly degree at times since he refuses to squat now that he's older.

However, I know someone who had a male that was never fixed his entire life, plus he was used for breeding (Not a GSD) and he never stopped peeing all over his own legs. The dog always stank, no matter how often he was trimmed and bathed. The current male he's been replaced with (same breed) is only a little over a year and rarely hits himself.

Hopefully yours grows out of it. But he may not.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Hans did this and outgrew it.
Rolf never did it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Perhaps it's down to the way he's built.
Yes, I seem to have found a few design flaws in my German Shepherd:
1. His boy parts point directly at his front elbows. He pees on his front legs unless I give him something to aim for.
2. His mouth seems to be too small to hold his entire tongue. As soon as it get over 70 degrees F. it spills out the side of his mouth.
3. He takes off his heavy winter coat one piece at a time. It hit the mid 90s this week. I gave up on vacumming and just started sweeping into a dustpan. Emptying out the vacuum was getting old.

Reactions: Catrinka

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
They make waterproof leg protectors or leggings for dogs. I googled it because my 10 month old manages to hit one of his front legs half the time. Briefly considered them, but decided we'd just stick with washing off his leg when it happens (and I always know when it happens because he worries about it and tries to lick himself clean before mom comes and does a more thorough job of washing him). I've had two male GSDs before him as well as other large male dogs and Luca is the first experience I've had with this issue.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
He’s gorgeous.
I think most grow out of it.
I used to keep a microfiber cloth moistened with cleaner whenever I took him outside.

·
Super Moderator
9,114 Posts
Keystone doesn’t do it but he’s really good at lifting his leg to create a nice sized puddle, then placing his foot directly in it as he walks off 😑

1 - 20 of 24 Posts