German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum! Been reading and searching for a little over a month now. Came across a lot of helpful posts with training and caring for a GSD. Our family’s first!

His name is Beckham! He’s about a 6 month old land shark lol. Great pup, playful and super friendly. My wife and I have two daughters, 9 and 5 and Beckham treats them like sisters. Will not leave their sight.

Besides the sometimes frustrating puppy antics that all puppies go through the only real issue is this, idk if it’s submissive peeing or not. Sometimes it’s clear, like if he takes one of the girls toys and you call his name to put it down, he knows he’s doing something “wrong”, will drop his ears and pee. He does it to everyone, not near as much with our girls or my wife but mostly with me. I’ve tried different approaches with handling him and it’s always a different response if he’s going to pee or not. I finally decided to join and post this after this last incident. I’m in the backyard playing with him, tell him to sit, he sits wagging tail ears up and then let’s it fly. Everything I’ve read is that it’s his way of letting me know that I’m the alpha/dominance.

Any suggestions help or guidance would be appreciated! And if someone could point me in the directions to purchase stock in paper towels that would be great also

·
Registered
15,931 Posts
So it sounds like it is when commands come around? Maybe if you look away when you issue a command? And have it all cheery & sunshine & roses... other than that, I have nothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it sounds like it is when commands come around? Maybe if you look away when you issue a command? And have it all cheery & sunshine & roses... other than that, I have nothing.
Lmao

I’ve tried it. Some time no pee, the next time pee all over my foot and himself.

Did it again last night giving him his bowl. I taught him to sit and he knows not to try for his bowls until they’re sat down and my hand is off of it. Told him to sit, sat down excited and then projectile pee.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Lmao

I’ve tried it. Some time no pee, the next time pee all over my foot and himself.

Did it again last night giving him his bowl. I taught him to sit and he knows not to try for his bowls until they’re sat down and my hand is off of it. Told him to sit, sat down excited and then projectile pee.
Okay, so maybe you need to tone down the cheeriness or the sunshine a bit? But still keep those 2 things. Just calm but firm commands with calm praise. Are you training with positive reinforcement? The best positive reinforcement trainers know that there is also positive punishment too (like being ignored, not getting a treat, not getting that super awesome toy that they love, stuff like that. I highly recommend Susan Garrett. She's like the best out there and can train any dog breed, and has decades of experience.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Lots of puppies do this. Most outgrow it by 1 yr, but some take a bit longer, and still some others never really stop.

Just manage it as best you can (by issuing commands outside, for example), it's a pain, but in most cases will resolve itself with age!

PS: paper towel comment made me laugh! I thought that too, but because of the blood my puppy drew, not pee so much...so, consider yourself lucky! LOL!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so maybe you need to tone down the cheeriness or the sunshine a bit? But still keep those 2 things. Just calm but firm commands with calm praise. Are you training with positive reinforcement? The best positive reinforcement trainers know that there is also positive punishment too (like being ignored, not getting a treat, not getting that super awesome toy that they love, stuff like that. I highly recommend Susan Garrett. She's like the best out there and can train any dog breed, and has decades of experience.

Good luck!!
I’ll look in to her. The ignoring thing doesn’t work. He will just landshark you to death lol and if you make it past that phase it’ll turn into him trying to be a lap dog climbing up to wherever you are!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's your personality? Loud, boisterous, intimidating, shy, quiet, retiring? Are you big and imposing, from the dog's perspective?
Yeah I think from his point of view I probably am imposing. I’m sure some of it has to do with him showing submission but it’s weird how it’s all the time..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Lots of puppies do this. Most outgrow it by 1 yr, but some take a bit longer, and still some others never really stop.

Just manage it as best you can (by issuing commands outside, for example), it's a pain, but in most cases will resolve itself with age!

PS: paper towel comment made me laugh! I thought that too, but because of the blood my puppy drew, not pee so much...so, consider yourself lucky! LOL!
Duuuuude he’s killing me on the paper towels. Especially with this covid19 and never being able to find any! Lol yeah I keeping thinking hopefully it’s just a puppy bladder control issue. I’m just afraid to chalk it up to that and a year later it still be a major issue that could’ve been resolved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just let him in from outside. Completely ignored besides “hey buddy”

Slightly calms down, he sits and I don’t make eye contact. And I feel something wet on my foot. So I look down and he’s in a cowering position, slowing walking away and lands down. I. Don’t. Get. It.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I’ll look in to her. The ignoring thing doesn’t work. He will just landshark you to death lol and if you make it past that phase it’ll turn into him trying to be a lap dog climbing up to wherever you are!
Lol! I have a Standard Poodle who was like that as a little puppy. Ignoring him did not help!! Sisko was a total Landshark 😫😱😂. I would redirect him to some kind of toy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just let him in from outside. Completely ignored besides “hey buddy”

Slightly calms down, he sits and I don’t make eye contact. And I feel something wet on my foot. So I look down and he’s in a cowering position, slowing walking away and lands down. I. Don’t. Get. It.
Ohhhhhh😖 so it's like that😖. I will talk to my mom when she wakes up. We had an Australian Shepherd who would do the exact same thing! I will post again after I talk to her about it, because I can't remember what we did for her.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
In your posts, it seems that the pup submissive pees after he sits. I’m wondering if at meal time, either give him his bowl right away before he sits so that he is already eating before he can pee react. Same with when he comes to you, have him do something for you instead of sitting. See if that interrupts the precursors for peeing. Also, maybe there are small but visable/observable signs that will give you at least a little time ie second or two to act.

When he takes a toy or something he shouldn’t, maybe act like you had been looking for it and he did a good job finding it for you. Teach him to bring it to you but don’t make him sit, have him stand to give it then daw his attention to something else. I know that you want to instill that he can’t take things he knows not to but at this point, the submissive peeing is priority to resolve so if you can build his confidence buy teaching him to bring it, That may be a happy middle that you and he can work with.

Easier saidthan done but if you can squelch the frustration it will probably help a lot.

My guy is eight and I still insist on a one second focus on me before chowing down. He can stand or sit his choice as long as he does the focus.

I don’t have any experience with pee submission but I do have a boy who I often had to think outside the box for solutions. So just brainstorming a little In hopes it helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m def gonna try all the suggestions everyone has given me!

Since I first posted I’ve been feeding him (food and water) outside on the back porch and so far so good. Did have one incident today but I wasn’t really paying attention to what might have caused it.
My daughter was playing with Beckham close to where I was sitting and I think I went to pet him nonchalantly without even acknowledging him and he peed but

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts

Good luck!!
Just a bit of clarification, the examples you provided, are forms of negative punishment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I thought we had it whooped.

just let dude inside. Excited running around wagging tail all over the place and I ignored him. Never made eye contact, just a little calm soft talking to him as he bounced around from the back door, to the kitchen and back in to the living room.

Finally when he calmed down, I acknowledged him and began to pet him. Too late.. he had already let it rip all over the house. Pee all the way from the kitchen and back in to the living room.

ughhhhhhhhhhhh. Some one reassure me it’s just a puppy thing

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I feel your paper towel pain. Have you explored the napkin option? Lol

He certainly is reacting to your mannerisms, voice and bearing. Try to keep your voice calm, don't hover over your dog. Keep working on things, it won't get fixed overnight.

Besides the suggestions above, have you tried a little bit of all positive obedience training outside to build confidence? Better yet, people are having a lot of success with confidence building doing a little nosework. All you need are some boxes and a few scents from various household items.

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
...might also want to invest in or make a belly band (it’s like a diaper for male dogs). to make your life a little easier in the meantime.

man do i feel your pain.

edit to add: found a low key version
F309DA54-A95E-4758-A494-C9DE65AB5C20.jpeg

·
Registered
118 Posts
It should be just a puppy thing. I am sorry you are going through this. I know how frustrating it can be. I am so sorry. I forgot to ask my mom about our Aussie. I am about to ask her about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts