German Shepherds Forum banner

Male or female??

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Petra's Dad 
#1 ·
I have neutered male goldendoodle. My husband and I want to get a German Shepherd soon. I’ve done research most say males are dominant and possessive and female being friendlier and gentle. Does any one have two males together. My family has always had females they always are moody and wanting to fight about everything. My goldendoodle is my first male. He had been the chillest dog with other dogs and just doesn’t want any problems with anyone. So my question is would two males be good together? Is it true about the males being dominant and possessive? I certainly don’t want to get another male and them have problems.

#2 · (Edited)
Your best bet IMO is to get a female....males and females usually get along pretty well together especially when one is a pup and raised with the adult....don't pay much attention as far as what you read online "males are this and this" Or "females are (pick an adjective )"....how dogs get along with each other varies from dog to dog.....many online "expert" opinions are based on owning 1 or 2 dogs
Your doodle may very well be very easy going while he's the only dog in the house and if you get a male every thing may be fine right up until the male pup becomes a young adult dog and he starts feeling hormones....most folks don't recognize the signs and can't read "body language".....to them the fight "just broke out with no warning"....in truth there were warnings they simply didn't see them.....

#3 ·
Agreed with Shane's Dad. I think you should go for a female.

You could try getting a male, but the chances are still high that the two will fight, and you have trouble. So in my opinion I wouldn't take that chance.

#4 · (Edited)
I have neutered male goldendoodle. My husband and I want to get a German Shepherd soon. I’ve done research most say males are dominant and possessive and female being friendlier and gentle.
I don't know what you read but I'm laughing so hard. My poor guy walks behind him coming out of the bedroom in the morning because my female hangs off his face like a leech.

Every female of every breed we've had was dominant and possessive. The males were submissive to them.

I would never have two females ever, ever again as long as I live. Females will fight and when they do, they don't stop. I do like the male/female combination (even if my current female is kind of a jerk). I know people have made male/male work and it seems to depend on the dogs. Personally, I would go with a female to help stack the deck in favor of success.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.