German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Jakai is turning 11 months at the end of February and I've noticed he hasn't started lifting his leg or have any interest in marking yet. My male shep, Mac (10 years in July), started lifting his leg and marking on walks around 9 months of age. Jakai isn't there yet. It's no bother to me at all but I was wondering if some males just don't lift their leg and mark or if he's just behind on this development. Would love to hear your guys experience and opinions on this!

Pic for reference - Mac (left) and Jakai (right)

·
Registered
11,449 Posts
He will. I am always proud of the first leg lift. But only when he is off leash. No on leash marking for my males.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
It’s not uncommon for some dogs to do it much later. I don’t remember when Bear started. I think it was 10-11 months. Cion was 8-9 months.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Harley didn't fully lift this leg until about 8 months but Rogan was early and often. I'm glad I'm on trails because he will mark a half dozen times in 500 yards. Some males actually squat for a long time or always.

PS
I absolutely love Jakai's face.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not all male dogs do the leg lift or feel the need to mark all over. Could be due to a lower dominance level. My female Vizsla who is dominant pees on the other 2's spots. Wrigley is almost 11 months and has started leg lifting on walks more recently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts