German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I actually have found the opposite to be true. I will be interested in hearing what others have experienced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any differences in personality between the males and females that would make one or the other more popular?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Are there any differences in personality between the males and females that would make one or the other more popular?
Your average puppy buyer doesn't think that way. They either want a male because they're bigger, or a female so we can "have puppies and get our investment back." :headbang:

There are some very generalized personality differences (males are goofy and take longer to mature, females are more serious; males are territory protective while females are person protective) but there are so many exceptions as to make the generalizations pretty pointless.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I would imagine since the GSD is a "masculine" breed, people would tend to lean towards males.
My bizarre reason for wanting a certain color or gender of a puppy is because I like to be able to tell years later which dog is in which photo.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I prefer males because they seem less distracted and I have read females can be more territorial due to the maternal instinct.
I have owned both sexes and after my 2 female GSD pass away, I will stick with the males since I feel they are more focused and less nervous, in my opinion or experience only.

·
2,967 Posts
Generally I think people I have known like the males. Males tend to be preferred in competition for SchH. They don't go in heat, and they tend to be generally tougher that the females. I would argue that females are actually better guard dogs- mine has always been more suspicious and quicker to alert bark than my males. Although I think a male is more likely to hang around for the fight (I think the girls are just a little smarter, they don't see any reason to stick around and get beat up). My males are not big barkers until my girl gets them going. I would say Males are generally more forgiving to a novice handler too. If you screw up the way you taught something, the boys seem to be more willing to relearn it. The girls are more like Sorry Buddy You messed up. THIS is the way we do it now. :)

I also think that people who want a dog like the GSD, want something masculine looking. I would say the general preference across the breed is for a masculine looking dog. I know I'd rather have a masculine looking bitch than a feminine male...

Most of the people I know that have females are interested in breeding. Or they just have an affinity for female animals. Or their other dog is a male and they don't want 2 males.

Really it comes down to personal preference. I like all my dogs, but I'm partial to males.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I think JKlatsky nailed it...
I prefer males as well. I have two females and a male. The male is not as serious and a bit on the comical side.
I wanted a male for my SchH dog only because I couldn't add another female to the pack...I don't want to rotate/crate/rotate.
In my pups litter there were only two boys, I was on the list for a male, but the breeder was holding back their "pick" male for sending to Germany...I was on pins and needles til I was ok'd to have a male, never know if the match isn't correct, but more males in that litter would have eased my mind some!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
For me the males are more "wearing their heart on their sleeve" kind of dogs.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Having had two GSD's in the family as a teen I would choose (and did) a male. The male we had growing up was a big sweetheart, a goof and pretty laid back. The female was always very serious, very on alert and more suspicious of people she didn't know.

I think part of it (if not all or most) was breeding.

For me when I got Xander I wanted a more laid-back dog and my experience has been that males are always a little more laid back.

Xander is definitely more laid back than my female whippet - she barks if she hears a bird fart outside and Xander only barks if there is something really there. That and he's the big goof ball around the house.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've always preferred male dogs. As far as GSDs go, I like the larger build and more masculine look that males have. But more importantly, since I'm at home with my mom taking care of her, I needed a male because she already has two bitches who do NOT get along, and I definitely did not want to add another! I'm just not crazy about female temperaments compared to males, maybe that seems odd, but I like my boys!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
personally for me, my next GSD will be a male. i'm burnt out on females. and i wont have to deal with the heat cycle since i wait until they're about 2 years old if possible before i spay them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I prefer males because they seem less distracted and I have read females can be more territorial due to the maternal instinct.
I have owned both sexes and after my 2 female GSD pass away, I will stick with the males since I feel they are more focused and less nervous, in my opinion or experience only.
Agree w/this. Have experienced the same thing growing up and with my own dogs. All the females we've had were more nervous and territorial.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have had males for years, then got a female, loved her to death, but there was something very special about those males. Right now I have a female gsd, a female aussie (who is in no way comparable to a gsd:) and a male aussie...

I've found my female gsd's, to mature faster, a tad more independent tho still very bonded to me, quick learners, more 'daring', I've not seen nervous, but I have seen them to be more 'possessive" of me. My males, doofy, velcroey, slower to mature, and as Leis said, more wearing their heart on their sleeve type.

I'm missing my male gsd's big time, so my next one will be a male

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
If you screw up the way you taught something, the boys seem to be more willing to relearn it. The girls are more like Sorry Buddy You messed up. THIS is the way we do it now.
So what you're sayng is boys can be taught over and over and won't really notice if you teach them a different way because they can't remember what you said the first time? :D

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
My male impresses folks...
If need be, my female would be the one to really leave impressions...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts