German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my boy Loki as you probably read from the title is only about 43 pounds and he just turned 6 months. I’m mostly concerned for his health, I don’t mind if he may turn out smaller but just wanted opinions on what it may be. I feed him 3 cups a day of Orijen large breed puppy food and he eats it with no problems. He mother is said to be about 70 lbs and his father is about 90lbs. He looks to be healthy but just very lean. Here are the photos of him and of his parents (loki is the black one, dad is the dark sable, mother is the lighter sable)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It's hard to judge his weight without a side view picture, and one from behind and above to see his waist.

But at that age my puppy was growing pretty fast and eating way more than the recomendation on the package! Also, I believe you're supposed to calculate the amount of food based on the expected adult weight, not the puppy's current weight. So for Orijen that would be 4 to 4.5 cups...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's hard to judge his weight without a side view picture, and one from behind and above to see his waist.

But at that age my puppy was growing pretty fast and eating way more than the recomendation on the package! Also, I believe you're supposed to calculate the amount of food based on the expected adult weight, not the puppy's current weight. So for Orijen that would be 4 to 4.5 cups...
Here is a picture from above

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Puppies need plenty of good nutrition to grow. I free feed my puppies unless there is an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I free feed my GS pup and grown GSD also and always have. I know some dogs need to be monitored but have nvr known of Shepherds to be one. I feel that sometimes creates eating issues. I just had my 6 month old weighted this past wknd and he is 55 lbs but he looks lanky to me. I think they go through periods where they look thin, just like their goofy ears do looking huge on their heads. I think yours looks fine considering hes still a growing pup and will be for awhile. Ive always heard they continue to grow up to 2 yrs.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
One of my females went through a period where I was feeding her way more than the recommended amount and STILL looked skinny! It was about the same age as your pup. Her growth slowed down around 9 months, and by one year, she was leaving food in her bowl, so I cut back on the amount.

They are like teenagers at this age - long and lanky and bottomless pits! Don't worry, he will grow up just fine. Just keep feeding him lots of good quality food. I think Star was getting 4 or 5 cups a day at this point. She was a BIG girl, and ended up above the standard height for a female, topping off at 25".

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
That dog needs a sammich.

Package guidelines are just that. Some dogs are hard keepers and need a lot of food. My working dog ate 10-12 cups a day when we were deployed, plus snacks and treats.

Reactions: MineAreWorkingline

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
To be honest, Archer pretty much always looks like that. He gets 5 1/2 cups of Fromm a day, plus training treats, plus two frozen kongs stuffed with canned dog food. He's just a thin guy and has a hard time keeping weight! If you can get your pup to eat more, that would be good, but he may be at an age where no matter how much you give him, he'll be thin. I think he'll be just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone,

just to add, I'm also going through the same scenario right now with Jimmy. He's almost 6.5 months and weighs around 47 pounds. The people that have seen him mostly seem to think he's fine but I'm a bit worried since i've seen gsd's who are much bigger than jimmy at this age. Is he going to grow in height? I know he's going to fill out till 2-2.5 years but i'm worried about the height.

here is a small video as well

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
A dog's correct size is determined by genetics. Unless the dog is malnourished or starved, he will reach his genetic size. Adding food will not change that and neither of the two dogs in this post look underfed. Obesity in dogs has become an epidemic just like in people.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I think the 1st pup's weight looks ok. The 2nd pup (Jimmy?) looks fine from the side at least. Pups go through some pretty sleek and lanky stages. I admittedly keep my puppies a bit heavier than other working sport people I know. And he is lean by pet standards right now. With my dog and a photo from the top you see an hourglass figure, and there is a good tuck from the side. You can see his ribs when he is making turns or working out. You can readily feel them when you run your hands down his sides.

I'll try and get some pics for reference.

47 is on the smaller side for a 6 month old male, but as long as he is healthy it does not matter. How are the littermates doing size wise and health wise?

In general they tend to be what the parent of the same sex was, but not always.Your pups are genetically programmed to be of a certain size. It will be what it will be. Height usually continues to about a year, with a slow down after 9 months or so.

Nothing is textbook though. My one dog grew in height after age 1. My other dog, there are shorter dogs in his pedigree, some light too. Some are short tanks. For male GSDs. His bother from the previous litter is 18 months and on the larger side at 26.5 inches and low 90s in weight. My pup is not on the same growth curve. I am expecting a maybe 25 inch and oh...85lb to 88lbs male. Which is great. At 10 months he is 24.5 and probably 79 to 80lbs? He was 77 a few weeks ago. He is wicked strong. Wicked. Decoys comment on it. I can post him out easily(hold his lead during bite work). Too strong. Size isnt everything with dogs- or people. :) So don't sweat it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts