German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Marking in the house means the owner's didnt do a thorough job in making sure they're dog understands, that ALL pottying must be done outdoors!!

Sydney is a VERY dominant female, she marks outside all the time, and she WILL try to balance herself by lifting her leg so she can pee higher than where some other male dog marked on a tree.

Shane is 8 months and is intact. He marks outside, NEVER in the house or indoors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My male has been neutered since he was 4 months old he is now 10 months old and still will hump my female and my male mastiff. I am constantly correcting he stops but keeps trying? I though neutering would solve the problem

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I have had many males over the year both intact and neutered and corrected it the first time they tried it and that was it. With other dogs I also think it is a dominance thing which is usually proceeded by other posturing (head over shoulder etc) that I stop if it happens.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Nope. Grimm is almost 11 months now and hasn't humped any dog (or any human leg, for that matter), and he is 100% intact.
As opposed to, say, 75% intact? :D

Sorry, just had to poke a little fun there. :p I have a male dog that was neutered at 2 years of age. He's about 6 now, and as long as I've had him, he's never tried to hump anything. The worst humper I ever know was a female toy poodle. Go figure.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think marking in the house is a housebreaking issue. Mine only ever tried to do that once, when a very foreign smell was in the house that he hadn't encountered before. He was corrected and he's never tried it again. He did in a friends house too, now that I think about it, but it was on a spot that had been previously marked on by another male dog, and mine had a UTI to boot - once it was cleaned up by an enzymatic cleaner (it hadn't been cleaned yet) everything was okay.

I'm not sure how you would deal with a dog who was more adamant about it, though. I haven't ever had to deal with that but then again I've only really ever been around two dogs extensively that stayed for any length of time in my own home (one of them being my dog, heh).

As far as humping...never seen my dog try it. The only two dogs I've ever seen that did it a LOT were two neutered males, and neither of them humped until after they were neutered (to be fair though, one was done at 11 months and the other at 15 months and there is a lot of development, physical and mental, going on there, so it might be 100% unrelated). Since that time the one done at 15 months has mostly stopped the behavior on his own, the one that was done at 11 months still does it a lot.

If your dog knows the "off" command use that, then treat. You kept him from doing something he enjoys (marking/humping) so you need to replace that with something else he enjoys.

·
Registered
277 Posts
As I understand it, it's a dominance ritual. Humans relate it to a sex thing, and find it unacceptable but it's not to dogs. This is normal pack behavior to determine the pecking order. You of course do NOT want your dog humping you or other people because it's a dominance thing. Just like you don't want your dog pee-ing on you or other people for the same reason.

My neutered male still does it sometimes to my spayed female but not often anymore. I calmly verbally stop him "Riley NO" - he doesn't need to show her who's boss since it's not him but me, LOL! It's also my understanding that intact males will do this more often than neutered males and I'd have to say in my case this is true. Riley's humping activity level dropped considerably about 6mos after neutering which is the time frame the vet gave me. It takes about 6mos on average for all the testosterone to work it's way out of their system.
Here's a great article as to why dogs hump and the reasons behind it:

The Down & Dirty on Humping: Sex, Status, and Beyond | Dog Star Daily

·
Registered
508 Posts
It really is the luck of the draw. I have two intact males who don't hump.... and a nutered male who is bad about it, and about marking (peeing) on things too.

I even have a female (all my females are spayed) blue heeler who is bad about humping... :eek:

I agree, it's not a sex thing for dogs, as much as a dominance thing and it is correctable behavior.

I wouldn't let it be an issue when determaning which gender to adopt, you just might end up with a humpy female. :eek:

:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found a post....this one ... about why I always wanted a female. We had a female "ruhi" who passed a year back. I saw her humping just once when she was asserting herself. I called out her name. . that was it. We now have a 3 month old male.He tried to hump his bedding twice in front of me. Again I called him and said stop, no. I hope that this is not going to be a problem.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts