German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hachi is a (supposedly) 3.5 year old fixed male GSD. He's peed while sleeping five times since Friday. It's 100% while he's sleeping. Before this, he had never peed inside the house before. He seems completely unaware that it's happening. This morning we did a pee sample and it came back completely normal. Now we're a bit more stumped.

The vet wants us to monitor him for a bit more before running more invasive tests. This is also compounded with the fact Hachi does really badly at the vet so for anything more than bloodwork he's gonna have to be sedated. We'd also want to get most of the tests done all at once.

Has this happened to anyone else before? It just seems so odd for a young, male, big dog. He's not really having any other symptoms besides a slightly lessened appetite since it got warmer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If your dog doesn’t feel comfortable at a vet clinic, my suggestion will be to consider online vets. Dogs usually get irritated at a vet clinic, I remember when I took Vegas(He’s a German Shepherd) to the vet for the first time, he freaked out and started barking and running around the room. I also wasn’t able to handle him that day. Since then whenever we even pass by a vet clinic, he starts barking again and pulls me away. For the past 1 year, I have been taking consultations and recommendations from vets online. Initially, I used Veterinarians.com(nice platform with a lot of resources related to pets but you need to call them to make appointments), I switched to Greatvet.com a couple of months ago (You need to register online using your email, and you can find 100s of vets around you - ranked on the basis of reviews, services, testimonials, etc), so you get to choose the best for your pet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily our vet is very good at discussing things over the phone! He's reduced the amount he's peed has become more like once a week. We're still debating with our vet whether to do more invasive tests or not. We're moving in three weeks and starting over with a new vet. Hopefully it'll be easier to get him to like a new vet. We'll definitely at least keep the online vet in mind!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Has incontinence been discussed? One of my dogs started quite young and initially it was only when she was relaxed. If it is incontinence there are several options, even homeopathic, that have helped with my girl.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's possible! We were more concerned that it happened all of a sudden, maybe 5 times over one weekend. He's never had any problems peeing inside in the year plus we've had him. It's now down to about once a week and becoming less frequent so we'll see what happens!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe it was a urinary infection? Did you check the urine sample for bacteria? My neighbor dog used propalin syrup for urinary incontinence. check it out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts