German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 1/2 yr old intact male. I am thinking of adding another GSD but not sure if I should get a male or female. If I wind up with a rescue, I would assume the female would already be spayed, so no worries about having puppies. If I get a puppy, I have to decide male or female. I always thought opposite sex dogs were better together but many people I know don't seem to think having 2 males is an issue. I have had 2 males in the past, but both were neutered. Would having 2 intact males cause issues? Of course if I get a female I would have my boy neutered and at some point the female would get spayed. Just looking for some input and others' experiences.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
I've had two males that got along splendidly and two that had to be kept separate or they'd fight. Male x female gives the best odds imop.

·
Registered
789 Posts
For the 15 years, I have had 2 male combos. Right now, one is neutered and one is intact. I’ve never had issues. I found its more the temperament/personality of the dogs.

Rule of thumb is always opposite sex dogs. If I were to get another dog after my old guy passes, I would get a female. That’s because my younger male would need an extremely submissive male (like my old guy is) to make it work. And that’s too much pressure. lol

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Some people learn the hard way that two males can be violent and that fights can be extreme or worse. Count me among them.

If you opt for rescue, chances are you can find a submissive, compatible male and they most likely won't adopt it out intact. However, rescues most likely won't adopt a dog out of either sex into a home where there is an intact male.

If you opt for a puppy, you will have a higher degree of success with another female. Do keep in mind that many German Shepherds are bred to be very possessive today and it can be a problem even with opposite sex dogs. If you would opt for a female pup, I am not sure why you think you would have to neuter your male. It would not be in his better interest healthwise.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I agree with you about possessiveness. My younger male is like that especially with other dogs. It would make even getting a female a challenge. Thank God my old male doesn’t have a possessive bone in his body. He just walks away. It’s why the two of them work.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some people learn the hard way that two males can be violent and that fights can be extreme or worse. Count me among them.

If you opt for rescue, chances are you can find a submissive, compatible male and they most likely won't adopt it out intact. However, rescues most likely won't adopt a dog out of either sex into a home where there is an intact male.

If you opt for a puppy, you will have a higher degree of success with another female. Do keep in mind that many German Shepherds are bred to be very possessive today and it can be a problem even with opposite sex dogs. If you would opt for a female pup, I am not sure why you think you would have to neuter your male. It would not be in his better interest healthwise.
The breeder recommended neutering my boy if I got a female puppy....unless I was willing to deal with a lot of crying and whining and amorous intentions. My family had 2 GSDs, an intact male and female when I was in high school(many many many years ago). They were separated until one of them figured out how to unlock and open the door. We wound up with 7 puppies. Fortunately we found homes for all of them. I am not interested in an oops litter again.

He is certainly fully mature at 3 1/2 yrs old so I don't think his health would be greatly impacted.

I have honestly never had dog fight issues with any dogs I have owned. Even the few that were dog reactive seemed okay bringing in a puppy (of the opposite sex). I have never had 2 females, but when I had 2 males, they were fine.

I guess the consensus seems opposite sex would work better. My boy grew up with my female GSD who we had to PTS last year so he has lived with another dog before. Of course now it has been a year of being the only "child". Don't know if that matters though.

·
Registered
956 Posts
... Do keep in mind that many German Shepherds are bred to be very possessive today and it can be a problem even with opposite sex dogs. ...
I found the above to be quite intriguing. So, can you say some more about breeding for possessiveness, @MAWL? I'm not familiar with either the characteristic (and how one distinguishes between it and, say, resource guarding) or how it figures in one's breeding decisions. If it's too far off-topic, we can go to PMs if you prefer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
With GSD go with opposite sex. My two males got along fine for years, then two of my bitches were having a spat and my old male challenged my younger male and wouldn't stop. Once the younger male was triggered, it was all go and no stop. It was the stuff of my worst nightmares. I'm lucky my younger male loves me dearly and wouldn't bite me even in a fight because I did some stupid stuff to break them up. Now the are separate mostly because the old guy is getting a dumb/senile in his aged years and would pick another fight, and that is not how I want to lose him... until you see it, you won't understand how scary it is. Get a female. Spay her at 1.5 to 2 years of age. That is the best advice I can give you.

·
Registered
923 Posts
It definitely could work with 2 males (really depends on their individual temperaments), but if you want to be safe, I would think male x female combo

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
With GSD go with opposite sex. My two males got along fine for years, then two of my bitches were having a spat and my old male challenged my younger male and wouldn't stop. Once the younger male was triggered, it was all go and no stop. It was the stuff of my worst nightmares. I'm lucky my younger male loves me dearly and wouldn't bite me even in a fight because I did some stupid stuff to break them up. Now the are separate mostly because the old guy is getting a dumb/senile in his aged years and would pick another fight, and that is not how I want to lose him... until you see it, you won't understand how scary it is. Get a female. Spay her at 1.5 to 2 years of age. That is the best advice I can give you.
Right? Those males are nasty once they get started. That is a whole lot of size and power to break up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We've always had the male/female combo, neutered because they are shelter dogs. A few differences of opinion, but for the most part they've gotten along. Only problem we had was someone who insisted on bringing her female along to our house. Ellie put up with another female dog only for so long, then set both visitor and female straight. Solved my etiquette problem...

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I found the above to be quite intriguing. So, can you say some more about breeding for possessiveness, @MAWL? I'm not familiar with either the characteristic (and how one distinguishes between it and, say, resource guarding) or how it figures in one's breeding decisions. If it's too far off-topic, we can go to PMs if you prefer.

Thanks!
Sent you a PM

·
Registered
311 Posts
However, rescues most likely won't adopt a dog out of either sex into a home where there is an intact male.
^ THIS
It doesn't matter if the dog they are placing with you is sterile. I had one rescue tell me flat out that with my male intact, they cant be sure that I am not just allowing him to breed indiscriminately in the community (while leashed on walks even - BAM! It could happen.) so I was not viewed as a responsible dog owner and they asked me to try adopting thru them again once I had proof of neuter. The board members here enlightened me that this is very common.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Neutering the male won't help with his state of mind during her heat cycle. Spaying a female solves it all. Unfair as that is.

Don't underestimate the power of hormones- one could easily argue that the teeny little pituitary gland runs the world!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts