German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm curious to know if there are any restrictions preventing wolf/dog mixes from becoming legit service dogs.

I've met a beautiful wolf/malamute mix while walking around town a couple times. The owner told me his animal is a high content wolf mix,(supposedly sire was a malamute, dam was a full-blooded wolf). He intends to establish a breeding program with this male to create more wolf/dog mixes.

I saw his dog and him today while at the park, and he told me that his animal is a service dog in training now! Specifically, he is apparently being trained to be a mobility/stablity dog.

My personal opinion is that wolf/dog mixes are strikingly beautiful, but do not make good pets. Wild animals are just that, wild.

I don't know anything about service dogs, but I can't help but think that if these animals don't make desirable pets, then they have no business being service animals.

Opinions?
Through ADI it’s not illegal. Based in Ohio and asking from and for American standards this was the official response.
Wolfdog is recognized as a breed under both Florida Lupine Association and the UCA (United Canine Association) and the AKC has recognized 12 “breeds” of wolf dog.

It all depends who you get the animal certified through. If you get it certified via ADI then it is federal law the animal cannot be discriminated against due to breed, size. Etc.

Just like different laws for different states.

⚠That being said; I do NOT believe most people even understand what a wolfdog is and how much different they are from normal dogs. A low-content may make a decent service animal, but the higher content animals should be handled by educated individuals whom understand that a wolfdog is NOT a dog.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.