German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my pup is not sleepy, he doesn't like being in his crate. He barks a lot the second I put him in (if he is not tired). I have never left him in his crate longer than an hour and a half yet. I was careful from day 1, to make sure to keep his crate a positive experience. I NEVER put him in there as punishment. I actually give him a few treats, each time I lead him into the crate. When he is in there, I give him another treat and say good boy.

Should I just ignore his barking? He definitely is not hungry/thirsty or needs to use the bathroom. I make sure all his needs are met before putting him in. I even ran him around the house a little to try and wear him out. After 10 or so minutes, he usually just quiets down and lays down. Just want to make sure I'm doing this right!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
you can fill up a Kong toy with some peanut butter or give him something that he really enjoys to chew on while he is in there. That may help.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok will do. By the way it seems to be the downstairs crate where he yaps more

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Make sure you never open the gate if he is acting up. He needs to learn the crate and being left alone is time to rest not tear something up or anything else so leaving him in the crate for 2-3 hours would be good because he might make a stink but eventually he will give up and lay down which is what you want.

He needs the crate to be a safe place and there are things you can do to enforce that but they also have to learn on their terms," after alot of barking & whining" that acting like that gets them nothing. JMO

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Ok will do. By the way it seems to be the downstairs crate where he yaps more
Maybe because there's more to see downstairs?

When crate training foster dogs, I feed in the crate and then there are some special treats and snacks that they only get in the crate. Like the peanut-butter-filled kong and bully sticks. It helps form a more positive association with the crate if they only get some super-special treats in there.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
That's what I did- saved their most favorite treats for just the crate. Even though I don't crate Stosh very often he still runs to it when he sees the chicken jerky. I never said anything to the pups when I put them in or out of the crate so it wouldn't build up any anxiety or anticipation.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If he quiets in 10 minutes and you can deal with it for 10 minutes then wait it out.

I can't deal with much puppy bark/whine so I cover the crate and if he's loud I hit it with my hand hard enough to shut him up after about 1 session of this (bark-hit crate-wait bark-hit crate etc.) They are usually pretty quiet in the crate. I've done this with many puppies and have never seen any backlash.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Just be careful what you decide to leave in the crate with your puppy. Make sure he can't choke on anything.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
you can fill up a Kong toy with some peanut butter or give him something that he really enjoys to chew on while he is in there. That may help.
That's a good idea and should help.

I know that I tend to use closed doors and baby gates to keep my dog WITH me during the day. Rather than bothering with the crate barking. They just want to be with me and as long as I am not doing something that they have to stay away from (painting a wall?) I can use the time to TEACH and manage them rather than using the crate.

So mainly I crate at night (crate in the bedroom) or if I have to leave the house entirely.

When I'm home, I train/teach/keep the pup with me.

That said, the best way to improve all my dog's behaviors is when I WAY up the amount of time and distance I can exercise/train/socialize my dog OUTSIDE the home. Packing them in the car and actively doing an activity is best.

Puppy/dog classes are a huge help with all of this too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If he quiets in 10 minutes and you can deal with it for 10 minutes then wait it out.

I can't deal with much puppy bark/whine so I cover the crate and if he's loud I hit it with my hand hard enough to shut him up after about 1 session of this (bark-hit crate-wait bark-hit crate etc.) They are usually pretty quiet in the crate. I've done this with many puppies and have never seen any backlash.
And this doesn't make them fear the crate? Do you cover it with a sheet so the puppy can't see you doing it? I have read someone else who has tried this and it worked, but I am extremely hesitant because in my mind, it would be a negative experience in the crate. How old are your puppies when you do this?

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
It's not something I would do gsd momma.

·
Registered
481 Posts

:eek: Seriously?? So you don't think they are quieting down out of fear of the load smacking noise overhead?? You think this is better rather than them realizing through a little time that the crate is actually a pretty cool and comfy place??
FYI, whether its positive OR negative attention given in response to the pup barking and whining....giving attention is what they want! They want to know that they are being heard in their complaints.

OP - I would NOT recommend doing that. Out of the 6 dogs I have right now, 2 of them are 7 week old puppies we rescued. And guess where they are...quietly laying in the crate! Just give it some time and they will get used to it. They still pipe up at times, but we ignore them and they quit. All of my other dogs are crate trained and we used the same methods. The incessant barking is annoying, but something you sign up for when getting a puppy. Gotta take the bad with the good. :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
:eek: Seriously?? So you don't think they are quieting down out of fear of the load smacking noise overhead?? You think this is better rather than them realizing through a little time that the crate is actually a pretty cool and comfy place??
FYI, whether its positive OR negative attention given in response to the pup barking and whining....giving attention is what they want! They want to know that they are being heard in their complaints.

A.Yes Seriously. Of course they are being quite because they don't like the noise. That's the point. If you can wait it out and just wait for the dog to shut up and become gradually quieter awesome. That's of course preferable. But my dogs live in the house (like yours probably) and neither me or my wife can deal with days to weeks of puppy screaming.

B. The idea that they are seeking attention and will continue to bark if you give them negative attention (walking in and banging on the crate) is ridiculous. The dogs want out of the crate. Providing a strong enough aversive reaction to barking makes it clear that barking is unacceptable.

GSD Momma,

Yes I cover the crate. I feel this helps for two reasons. First it means there is nothing for the puppy to see. If he can't see out of the crate then it's less frustrating. Second it takes the human factor out of the correction. For all he knows it is something falling out of the sky and landing on the crate. I also don't yell at him for the same reason. He's always excited to see me because he doesn't associate me with the correction.

On this board I notice a lot of coddling dogs. NILIF does not solve all behavior problems and believe it or not puppies and dogs not only can deal with pup sometimes thrive with a bit of stress.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts