German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I know this is lots of repetition, I'm just nervous and want to make sure I am going about this all the right way. :blush:

Abby is on 100% Blue Buffalo kibble and I want to switch to 100% Raw/BARF cold turkey.

Abby is ~65#

That makes it:
13.95oz RMB
15.5oz MM
1.55oz OM

Start out with:

Turkey/chicken necks, chicken legs or wings in the AM as my RMB
Then ground turkey/chicken and I found chicken hearts and gizzards ( 2# for $1.00)

After about 3 weeks I can mix stuff up...

Am I way off course? It's a lot of information to take in and I can't get my hands on Dr. billinghursts BARF books without paying lots for them.

With 2 dogs and no room for kennels, is it best to feed outside?

How do you decide whatbto cut to fit the weight I want?

I'm sorry about the long thread. I'm sure I will have more questions.

Thanks for your help :)

Samantha

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
gizzards are actually MM, not OM. It has to do with what they are amde of, all muscle

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I went back and found a container of Livers. (Gave the kids a sneak peak of what the gizzards were. They were very attentive for awhile after that, lol)

Are chicken legs ok for an RMB? I thought it was the same as chicken Qtrs, but was wrong again.

I'm trying to keep this as simple as I can for starting. Then hope to branch out.

I'm also having trouble finding a meat locker around me in Kansas that sells the necks. What are your secrets to finding them?

Thanks for the help:)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I would start with either just turkey or just chicken and not mix at first (until you know that your dog can handle a raw diet). Too much variety too fast can lead to the runs.

Also, chicken quarters have much more meat on them than necks (either turkey or chicken). You probably won't need to add too much extra MM when feeding quarters, but will need to add more MM when feeding necks. Any chicken part with bone in it is ok for RMB's. I have been using chicken drums lately as my chicken RMB (each dog is different, but I have found that 50% drums, 50% MM works pretty good for mine). You will have to play with the amounts and watch the poop - too mushy, add more bone; too dry, add more MM.

I would also hold off on the OM at first. It is very rich and can cause the runs. I started at 1/8oz OM and SLOWLY added in 1/8 oz increments until I got to the desired amount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts