German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Recommending Breeders

As a fairly new German shepherd owner and purchaser I think this Post is fabulous...For me coming here and asking for suggestions on Good breeders has opened the door to further my search. As someone with little experience with the breed and breeders....Receiving names and information here has provided me with options. I have continued to read suggestions and educate myself about careful selections of breeders...What to look for and what to avoid. For me I have tried to take all of this in and simply learn. Positive or negative recommendations provides me with a small step towards contacting the breeder, asking questions and possibly scheduling a time to go out to meet them in person and see their program and meet their dogs.

When you are looking for breeders and really have no personal references from trusted sources or names of Quality breeders sometimes seeking opinions and suggestions on line offers more information. I am thankful for those who have offered this to me. It is now up to me to take the time with suggestions and carefully do more homework....I do think that if a buyer has an idea of what they are looking for and a breeder and their dogs are recommended by several different buyers this recommendation warrants consideration. That being said...From personal experience I myself would never recommend purchasing any dog without seeing it first and meeting the breeder in person. I also believe that many Quality breeders out there would have a long list of questions to ask the buyer and might want to meet them as well. This to me shows that they are careful about whom they sell their puppies to. Just my take on things.

I think many individuals lack the resources to really find a wide variety of breeders to start with. For me....This forum has provided me with more options to look in to.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
This is a good thread. It helps to remind me that when I give advice, I need to point out my novice status. I do try to do that..."Not an expert, this worked for me." And I have stopped myself before, as well, reminding myself I'm probably better off not "helping" in a certain situation.

As far as recommending breeders, I don't, because I have no personal experience. The extent of my experience as a rescuer is understanding that the dogs I own would not be the right dogs for most people, and that genetics play a huge role in that. And I just try to throw that concept out there occasionally...the whole idea that just because you only want a "pet" dog, doesn't mean you shouldn't do your homework and examine the breeding program.

Thought provoking thread. Thank you :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Choosing a GSD Breeder

I would like to give some useful information to those people who are looking for a good German Shepherd breeder. Because the GSD breeders in my area do not have the looks and temperment I desired, I turned to the internet and conducted exhaustive research trying to figure out which breeder to pick for a solid GSD - family pet.

The most important thought I can share is to ask the breeder and references what support is provided when there is a problem after the check has been cashed. Everyone thinks their breeder is the best when everything goes right....the real test is how the breeder responds when a problem arises, which may be attributed to the breeding or genetics. Not everything is the fault of the breeder but there are enough "gray area" issues like temperment which the breeder should provide some help with.

I purchased my 2nd GSD from **** kennel name removed due to board policy. ADMIN**. I have owned several different breeds of dogs over 40+ years. Soon before the dog reached maturity, I began noticing aggression problems toward my young children. When I first turned to the breeder for help, I was told "I can't see the dog and it's behavior so I can't really help." The suggestion was to go hire a dog behaviorist. My disappointment centered on - if you can sell a dog over the internet, then why can't you offer some help right away...rather than attempt to wash your hands of the problem.

It was only after I had to approach the breeder again, did I get any cooperation along with the comment "why do I only hear from you when there is a problem with your dog". At 1 year of age, I had sent a DVD showing where the dog lived, the walks he took, and how he loved to chase balls. Sadly, after 4 years of continued attempts at correction, I had to euthanize the dog because of several nipping incidents with family members. I emailed the breeder of my decision and have never received ANY reply. Tells you all you need to know.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is a great topic. I have 2 more weeks until I'm able to get my girl. I wasn't referred to the breeder by anyone and he's a trainer who trains in schutzhund. I'm going more by what I see of his dogs and kennel and the lack of BS that other breeders have tried to feed me. I asked him if he ever has had a problem with aggression in any of his pups. Most breeders would not admit to this. He proceeds to tell me a story of a guy who called him a little over a year after purchasing a pup from him complaining that the dog was aggressive he agreed to take the dog back. The dog was having some aggression issues but the bottom line was that there were never any boundaries set for this dog as a puppy he train the dog and sold him for police work. The fact that he admitted to this issue and admitted that he took the dog back brought
me great peace

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I would like to add that people who recommend breeders, please back it up by giving the searching party a way to contact one or two owners who have purchased a dog from the kennel referred. Passing a name along because you read it on a forum or from one person doesn't guarantee the breeder is a good one. That one person may have been lucky! Websites do not give the whole story how a breeder operates as well. Contact and visit the breeder in person if you can. Interact with the dogs onsite to learn about their personalities and who did the training. If you can, watch the breeder's website for about a year to see how the kennel is run. Research, research, research! You will have to live with your purchase for over 10 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've never had a dog and plan to get my first this spring. Luckily I have a family member who is very familiar with breeders in general and gave great tips. I personally wanted to find one within a reasonable drive. If I ever have trouble/questions I wanted to be able to go to them for help, and want them to be willing to help. I started with emails, then phone calls then from those picked a few to visit. They were all great. I met mult generations of their dogs, the older ones doing very well into their old ages. I know the gsd can have an alouf vibe and I saw that in many dogs. HHowever I plan to do therapy dog training so I'd like less aloof if possible. I met a few wonderful dogs, of the same line and they were very social. Many of her dogs are therapy dogs. Very well behaved. No jumping, minimal alert barking. Turns out they are breeding her this winter. Timing worked out great. However if they weren't breeding her until later in the year I probably would have waited. Added bonus they are of darker coloring which is also the look I like.
For a newbie like me lots of reading up talking to dog owners and going in person to meet breeders was the best combo for me.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
For a newbie like me lots of reading up talking to dog owners and going in person to meet breeders was the best combo for me.
That is THE best way of researching and learning about the breed and breeders - kudos to you!

One can't always visit in person, but I know one member here that spent a YEAR visiting different breeders, going to GSD events, and meeting all types of dogs from all types of lines to learn about them. This allowed her to get a good feel of what she liked and didn't like, get a clear idea of which lines she wanted to with, and give her the experience and insight to pick out a good responsible breeder from the crowd. Ended up going with a shipped puppy from a breeder she never got to meet, but her year of hand-on research gave the the knowledge to make an educated, confident choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys. I like to think I'm on the right track. I look forward to Being able to post pictures of my puppy and share some stories myself!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts