German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to see it become the norm to indicate how people came to make a recommendation (for a breeder and when people recommend rescues too).

Is it from meeting the dogs from that breeder with their owners, seeing the dogs in a show, competition, having a dog from that breeder, visiting the breeder?

Is it from reading their website?

Seeing pictures?

Seeing people on this forum with their dogs but never having met the person or the dogs?

Is it from knowledge of the pedigree and lines? (I love these discussions and find them so interesting so always look to see what people are saying about these things)

Yada, yada, yada.

Because that makes a huge difference, I would imagine, if you are the person taking in these recommendations.

It would be like asking for a restaurant recommendation when you go on vacation. And I say well, I heard that Joe's Fancy Eats is great. Have I eaten there? No. Seen the food in person? No. Then you find out that I only eat frozen food so don't even have the basic knowledge of the types of food they serve. Except instead of a bad meal, you end up with a dog that's not a match for you, or support bad practices, or whatever.

I would love to see people put a qualifier - why they think that this is a good breeder to recommend. Not your resume or anything - just some way for people who have only posted 1 or 2x on this board to get an idea of who is making the recommendation. It would just be a throw-in sentence - like:
Wolfstraum - have met 3 of her dogs, seen them in sport and social situations and really liked their attitude
Zu Treuen Händen- have never met any of the dogs or her, but shares similar dog values and really seems to be a student of the breed and breeding
Acme German Shepherds - have only looked at their website and pictures on facebook but they are gorgeous dogs
Also, I am just a dog lover, so take my recommendation for what it is.

Or, if people can't/won't do that, if you are making that first or second post asking for help, ask the people why they recommend these dogs, what their experience is with them, and where they are coming from in making those recs. Same with rescues.

Maybe?!?

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I completely agree!! I've made the mistake of recommending breeders that had a great reputation, but never actually met them or any of their dogs, or talked to anyone that had dogs from them. Then later find out that they fake paperwork, don't take back dogs, blame the owners for causing health issues that are genetic (like, how does a person cause their dog to have EPI?), pressure people to take two pups at once, etc, etc. (not all from one breeder, above examples from a couple of different breeders).

And then there are people who are trying to be helpful, google breeders in the area that the person lives in, and post links to the kennels. No matter how amazing a website looks, how many accomplishments the breeding dogs seem to have, a website is NOT the only thing someone should use to make a decision on buying a dog. For example, I've seen a dog from a breeder with a really nice looking website, showing happy, engaged dogs doing protection work and being active, solid pets, slink through their BH with head down and tail between their legs. This dog was sold to someone as a SchH I ready breeding prospect.

If you saw their website, you'd think, WOW!!! NICE!!!, but how can the breeders be ethical selling a dog like that making those claims?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I try to recommend breeders I "know", either because I know them personally (and thus know the dogs and/or many of the progeny even if I don't own one myself) or breeders I've got dogs from in the past. Sometimes if a breeder looks really good to me, I'll say something like "I've never dealt with this breeder, but it would be one I would look into." Hopefully that is not misleading. I try to not assume that because I like someone and/or like their dog and what they've done with it means that they would recommend those lines or that breeder. At any rate, I don't think a recommendation should be interpreted as "you should get a dog from...", IMO they are meant to be a jumping off point, call the breeder up and learn more about them and their dogs.

Reactions: PMBO29

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree personal experience is extremely relivant in making a recommendation but the person choosing really needs to make their own decision. While I adore my dogs fully, they wouldn't be a good fit for just anyone. I think true honesty and pointing out strengths and weaknesses can help a new person make a more information decision. There's no such thing as a perfect dog

I think having great breeders on the forum helps put into perspective what we need to look for, there are good breeders and bad breeders out there. In watching their posts and seeing the information they share it does give you a decent idea of the type of people they are just the same as e-mails or phone calls. There are some I've been truly impressed by and some I've been disappinted in.

Personally I think the biggest compliment a breeder can get is repeat business. It's one thing to take one dog, it's another to come back again and get a second or even third dog. It shows confidence in their program

·
Registered
745 Posts
Some people are very good about being cautious in their posts, when people post several links to breeders websites I have seen members state something along the lines of "Well I have no personal experience with the breeder, but looking at the pedigree I think......".

I think it's best to be very clear in stating on what you are making your recommendation. For example, if anyone asks about the breeder I got my pup from I would certainly recommend based on my experience, but they would need to know that this is my first WL pup and I may not have the same expectations training wise that they do,

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
After lots of reading and recommendations on here I did my own research and I found that Robin(Huerta Hof) is who I will go through. She has been nothing but helpful and I feel that the recommendations were good enough for me to get going and find out for myself. I think any recommendations should be researched, because after all they are just recommendations, it would be up to the person to figure out if that recommendation fits them.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Absolutely, the only breeder I ever discuss is the one I got my dog from. And TBH, I feel like I only have limited knowledge of her breeding practices since it is based on one dog.

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
Sometimes if a breeder looks really good to me, I'll say something like "I've never dealt with this breeder, but it would be one I would look into."
I did exactly that a week or two ago, when I got a FB message from someone in my area asking if I knew anything about a local breeder. I know Laurie from a yahoo email training list and met her at a couple of workshops a few years ago. She has dalmatians, and someone she knows is looking for a GSD.

In this case the breeder was someone I only heard of recently so I really know nothing about her, but she does OFA hips and elbows, thyroid, cardiac, brucellosis and CERF tests on all her dogs. She also works with a couple of breeders that are very highly recommended here and elsewhere, and uses those dogs from those breeders in her program (sires from vom Gildaf and Schraderhaus). I liked everything I saw, so I told Laurie that although I don't know the breeder and have never met her dogs, I didn't see any red flags, and this was a breeder I would personally consider getting a dog from.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Funny Jean, I wanted to start a thread on this same topic. It's amost become a peev of mine that people sort of blindly follow and recommend people based on internet experience only. My favorite is is when people will say something like "so and so from this board has the most AMAZING dog ever and I love him/her....I would absolutely recommend X breeder." Um, ok. You really only know this dog and like this dog because the poster is presenting the dog in a positive light, not because you ACTUALLY know anything about this dog. Sam with a breeder themselves. Just because they can talk a good game on the internet doesn't mean their breeding program meets those words.

It's one thing saying "this person might be worth checking out" and qualifying with what you do or don't know about (I've done that) them versus straight up doling out a "recommended" list based on no actual real-life experience with this breeder and/or their dogs. Now, this isn't to say that people are not responsible for themselves. I totally agree that you should never go buy a dog based on strangers' recommendations on the internet and that's their own fault if they end up in an unsavory spot.

As a bit of a spinoff of this, I also wonder about how the recommendee sometimes feels about getting dragged into the threads. I've seen a lot of instances where people basically say "that breeder is horrible........THIS is what a responsible and good breeder is" and will post the breeder of their choice instead. Not to say that the poster isn't correct, but now that breeder is associated with what generally turns into a nasty thread. I can't help but think they are often sitting behind their computer screen cringing.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I think being able to qualify a recommendation with the reason why you're making the recommendation would be a great idea.

I was PM'ed a few months ago by someone who had recommended a breeder and I had later come in on the same thread and posted that I was sending the OP a PM about that breeder.

I responded with a detailed explanation of my personal experience with the breeder in question, and I asked the person how they had come to recommend the breeder in the first place. Their response was that they had seen the breeder mentioned on another forum and had visited their website a lot. They had never seen the breeder's dogs in person, had never been in contact with the breeder or anyone who had purchased a puppy from the breeder. They were basing their recommendation on a flashy website, dogs that "looked good" and regional proximity to the person who was asking for recommendations.

I think it would make it a lot easier for the average person coming on here and asking for recommendations to wade through the replies they get if they can see at a glance what the various recommendations are based on.
Sheilah

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Funny Jean, I wanted to start a thread on this same topic. It's amost become a peev of mine that people sort of blindly follow and recommend people based on internet experience only. My favorite is is when people will say something like "so and so from this board has the most AMAZING dog ever and I love him/her....I would absolutely recommend X breeder." Um, ok. You really only know this dog and like this dog because the poster is presenting the dog in a positive light, not because you ACTUALLY know anything about this dog. Same with a breeder themselves. Just because they can talk a good game on the internet doesn't mean their breeding program meets those words.

It's one thing saying "this person might be worth checking out" and qualifying with what you do or don't know about (I've done that) them versus straight up doling out a "recommended" list based on no actual real-life experience with this breeder and/or their dogs. Now, this isn't to say that people are not responsible for themselves. I totally agree that you should never go buy a dog based on strangers' recommendations on the internet and that's their own fault if they end up in an unsavory spot.

As a bit of a spinoff of this, I also wonder about how the recommendee sometimes feels about getting dragged into the threads. I've seen a lot of instances where people basically say "that breeder is horrible........THIS is what a responsible and good breeder is" and will post the breeder of their choice instead. Not to say that the poster isn't correct, but now that breeder is associated with what generally turns into a nasty thread. I can't help but think they are often sitting behind their computer screen cringing.
:thumbup: I so agree with everything you post!
There are a couple dogs that people ooh and ahh over on the boards or on fb and don't even know the dog,but the owner will constantly promote the dog so everyone thinks the dog is all that....when in reality it is no different than any other good dog.
I almost think recommending a good breeder by naming names should be as forbidden as bashing. People should research a bit by going out and seeing dogs in training, not just go by what is posted on a forum by complete strangers.
Though I am guilty of suggesting breeders that I know of... I wonder why it would matter to people who don't know me/ my opinion is just that.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how do you know the person you're recommending to the breeder
is sound and has a good temperament?

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
exactly doggiedad!

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Jean :thumbup:

Personally I think the biggest compliment a breeder can get is repeat business. It's one thing to take one dog, it's another to come back again and get a second or even third dog. It shows confidence in their program
This is nice if it works out but it doesn't always for several different reasons. Timing probably being the biggest one.

Absolutely, the only breeder I ever discuss is the one I got my dog from. And TBH, I feel like I only have limited knowledge of her breeding practices since it is based on one dog.
Love this thought process. This is what I started doing a little bit ago. I now only recommend 2 breeders. :eek: I actually believe there are more than 2 good breeders out there. I have met and personally know more then 2 breeders. I've met dogs from a number of different kennels and I thought those dogs were very nice dogs but I don't recommend those breeders.

The reason I only recommend the 2 breeders? They are the breeders I have purchased my dogs from and I've been very happy with these 2 dogs. I have grown to really respect these 2 breeders for many different reasons. One I see on a weekly basis and we've had many conversations about dogs. One I seldom see in person but frequently email. I've know her for maybe 12 years now and followed her breeding program for about as long. Again – many, many dog conversations. Other breeders that I like and might also recommend have their own puppy owners with personal experience who do actively recommend them.

Funny Jean, I wanted to start a thread on this same topic. It's amost become a peev of mine that people sort of blindly follow and recommend people based on internet experience only.
This has LONG been a peev of mine. :crazy:

how do you know the person you're recommending to the breeder
is sound and has a good temperament?
If I don't know the person personally, I leave that up to the breeder to figure out. :D

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Good thread.

I have only purchased GSD's from 5 different breeders. One was actually a BYB, another is no longer in business. The other three are still breeding. Of those three I would only recommend one, maybe two - it depends. My other GSD's were rescues from shelter.

I purchased one dog based on recomendations here several years ago. The breeder was regional to me and I was able to pick up my puppy and met them. Although the dog is now a pretty good dog, it did not come without supreme effort and many issues with health. I do not recommend this breeder.

Another dog I purchased from a friend. I know her integrity personally. I do recommend har as often as possible. Not because the dogs are nice. They are, but she will stand behind what she says and will not make her dogs out to be something they are not.

I always qualify recommendations. If I do not know the breeder personally or done business with htem, I say so.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
This is nice if it works out but it doesn't always for several different reasons. Timing probably being the biggest one.

I agree. It's a nice compliment if it happens, but I wouldn't hold it against a breeder if it doesn't. Breeders' stock changes and some folks like myself are actually more interested in the dog than the breeder. Both in Nikon's and Pan's case their breeders had different dogs from different bloodlines and I was really only interested in one litter. If they aren't breeding this line when I am ready for another dog and I go somewhere else, that doesn't necessarily reflect badly on them. I just know what I want and it's reality. I don't expect any one breeder to produce everything for every person.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree. It's a nice compliment if it happens, but I wouldn't hold it against a breeder if it doesn't. Breeders' stock changes and some folks like myself are actually more interested in the dog than the breeder. Both in Nikon's and Pan's case their breeders had different dogs from different bloodlines and I was really only interested in one litter. If they aren't breeding this line when I am ready for another dog and I go somewhere else, that doesn't necessarily reflect badly on them. I just know what I want and it's reality. I don't expect any one breeder to produce everything for every person.
I never said it's a bad sign if someone only buys one dog from a breeder, as much as I love Delgado I'm going to try another breeder next time simply because I know I'm going to be looking for a WGSL. I love the WL but I'm only going to have so many dogs in my lifetime and I'd like to try a SL as well

It's true that most people have years between each pup so the chances of getting a repeat litter or the same bloodline may or may not happen.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I never said it's a bad sign if someone only buys one dog from a breeder, as much as I love Delgado I'm going to try another breeder next time simply because I know I'm going to be looking for a WGSL. I love the WL but I'm only going to have so many dogs in my lifetime and I'd like to try a SL as well

It's true that most people have years between each pup so the chances of getting a repeat litter or the same bloodline may or may not happen.
Exactly why I did not go back to Kayos' breeder. She did not have what I wanted at the time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts