German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slowly but surely we are getting somewhere. The first few minutes when we start off our walks, Koch can be terrible wanting to get everything - but I can sometimes capture her attention. Being pent up in a cage then out with those fun cars is exciting!

Once the initial rush is over, she ignores a good percentage of vehicles racing down the side roads. Occasionally she won't heed my calls for attention and will lunge after them. One thing she has gotten better about (typically) is how hard she goes after them, before she'd almost break her neck trying to race after a vehicle, but now she will sort of run but slowly follow the vehicle going by.

I wanted to try the "patti miller" method of starting father out and slowly working in to get her over vehicles, but that doens't quite work when your only place to walk is sidewalks on side streets.

I've been sticking with the advice of "be more interesting than the cars" - treats are nice, but what REALLY gets her going is a good Schutzhund tug. If I see a car coming - I'll let her notice it, then I'll work on getting her attention. I'll let her mouth the tug and if she ignores the car, we get a good game of tugging going on as a reward. She loves it!

Hopefully once this phase passes and she stops going after vehicles, we can really start working on her heeling. She pulls a little bit, but I want her to walk by my side at all times.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Progress is great! You can't get to the end immediately but as long as you two are moving towards those goals you're doing good. And it's great to find the things you can use-sometimes food sometimes a toy.

Keep it up!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts