German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now I've been alternating Beckett's meals between raw and kibble - taboo, I know, but he's happily been eating both with no discernable side effects. Now he's almost two weeks into an eight week course of doxycycline for anaplasmosis. The antibiotics, along with warmer weather and environmental allergies that come with it, has decreased his appetite and made him generally more irritable. (Think annoyed, itchy, pill-hating teenager.)

The new problem that's come up is that he only willingly eats raw and struggles against eating kibble. I didn't want to make the complete diet switch until after he was finished with the doxy (knowing that there could be detox side effects with all raw). If he weren't on medication I'd just remove his uneaten food and make him fast until he eats what I give him, but the doxy needs to be taken with a full meal to avoid digestive upset. This, plus all the other little power fights we've been having recently because of his allergies, has put a strain on our relationship. Food-wise, continuing to do half and half doesn't seem viable. So the questions for you raw feeders is:

Should I go back to 100% kibble until after he's finished the doxy? (And how should I go about doing this if he's throwing tantrums but needs to eat?)

Or...

Is a switch to complete raw safe at this point? Do you think a potential detox would interfere with antibiotics?

Would love some input on this! Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
If this were my dog, I'd go with raw...and add in probiotics mid day when you aren't giving the anti's. Green tripe has some probi's as well as digestive enzymes and I'd add that in from the get-go. Tripe is also a good source to hide the supplements/allergy meds!
Just make sure you are feeding a balanced diet, and get that immune system strong. Carmen(Carmspack) has supplements, maybe check her site or pm her for your individual dogs needs?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If this were my dog, I'd go with raw...and add in probiotics mid day when you aren't giving the anti's. Green tripe has some probi's as well as digestive enzymes and I'd add that in from the get-go. Tripe is also a good source to hide the supplements/allergy meds!
Just make sure you are feeding a balanced diet, and get that immune system strong. Carmen(Carmspack) has supplements, maybe check her site or pm her for your individual dogs needs?
Thanks for the input, Jane! Right after I started the thread I tried to feed him a kibble meal with some add-ins - he walked to his bowl and threw up bile all over it. A bit dramatic, no? :headbang:

So he's been on complete raw since then (luckily I had already picked up my bulk order) and is thankfully eating full meals with his antibiotics. I've been giving him larger doses of probiotics/enzymes, a slightly higher % of bone to keep his stools firm, and continuing with omegas and an immune supplement.

I'm still worried that his system will get overloaded/stressed and I'm hesitant to introduce anything else too quickly. However, his behavior has improved and at least we can get back on track with the engagement and drive work we were doing before this. Definitely not an ideal plan but for now I'll take what I can get!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts