German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 week old pup (Roma. She's my first GSD pup!) hates getting baths. I bathe her once a week using only high quality conditioner to make her smell pretty and her fur fluffy. My husband kinda demands it because he hates the smell of dogs.

Anyways, I have given her several baths already and I was hoping she would get used to it by now, but no. She just stands there all pathetic, shivering to death (and I know the water isn't cold but I avoid making it hot), and she just tries to jump out. I fill the tub up a little bit with water before I take her to the bathroom so the faucet doesn't make that loud roaring noise and scare her. Heck, I even put a few toys in there. Is there anything else I could do to make it fun? I REALLY want her to like water and bathtime. We have a pool so I that's the ultimate reason why I want her to enjoy bathtime, but I just feel so bad for her. Will she always hate it or will she just get used to it? Anything I can do?:help:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
She's a baby!!! She will adjust in time to having a bath....HOWEVER GSD's don't get a bath often at all. A few times a year at most. They need to be brushed constantly but not bathed!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I actually wouldn't know, I've bathed Killian once when he was a puppy and the next time he went to a groomer. He is 6 months old with two baths total, but gets brushed out a lot to get rid of the lose dirt. <3

·
2,967 Posts
I always sat in the bathtub with my pups when they were small. Lots of happy talk and petting. If they wanted to sit in my lap while I scrubbed them down that was fine with me. It can help them to feel more secure. Also those rubber mats that they make so you don't slip and fall can help. Sometimes the slippery footing can freak the little ones out.

But of course like others have said...regardless of how good the shampoo is- weekly bathing is not a good idea for these dogs. You will end up stripping a lot of natural oils out of the coat once the adult coat comes in. Regular brushing and a QUALITY diet will keep the dog from smelling. Maybe some of those bathing wipes or grooming mists they sell could help freshen her up in between baths if your DH is that sensitive?

·
Super Moderator
32,425 Posts
She's small enough to bathe in the kitchen sink, and it's a lot easier! But Renee is right, you do not need to give her a bath every week. At most, mine get a bath once a month, but often that runs into a month and a half to two months between baths. Many people don't do it nearly that often.

If you're concerned about odor (which she really shouldn't have), there are some pet wipes and sprays to keep her fresh. I'd look for a brand that doesn't have a bunch of junky perfumes, such as Earthbath. They also have a waterless grooming foam.

For Dogs :: earthbath® - totally natural pet care

That's why earthbath products are totally natural, non toxic, paraben free, phthalate free, and phosphate free. Our products are made in the USA with human-grade ingredients and pure essential oils, with none of the artificial colors and fragrances present in some other brands.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I started shampooing Karma under the hose outside which she did not really like but tolerated. Thats the way I have always washed my dogs. Then I thought....well....how would YOU like being shoved under a cold stream of water ( even though here in Cambodia it is always hot and humid believe it or not a warm shower is nice ! ). So then I decided to take her into the shower with me and we are lucky we have a glass cubicle with a hand hose shower thingy and the entire bathroom floor is terrazzo concrete so it is perfect. Karma loves a warm shower now and will gladly walk in on her own and sit while I lather her up with natural tea tree oil. Its great for flea bites and leaves her smelling and looking a million dollars. She then shakes down in the cubicle, I dry her off with a dog-designated towel and she tears out of the bathroom and slips and slides all over the living room tiles until she finally gets traction and then bolts out the door to do a few body rolls on her mat.

I am sorry but I don't believe in the whole " dogs coats have naturally oily coats that expel dirt and should only be washed once a year or you ruin the oils etc" argument.

My Australian Cattle Dog had a very thick oily coat but he had such an active lifestyle on our farm and in the saltwater lakes etc that if I did not wash him he was just constantly itching and you could barely pat him he would get so dusty.

I think if your dogs are not at least swimming regularly in fresh or salt water you owe it to them and yourself to wash them once a month with a natural shampoo of some type. Apart from the benefits of bonding with your dog and getting them nice and clean,it is a good time to get rid of some excess hair and check for ticks etc.

And when they dry off........the hugs.......oh......the HUGS !!!!!

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
My dogs don't get bathed regularly. If they are very dusty or muddy, then yes they get hosed down in the shower. They don't have a doggy smell either.
My 22 month old has had two real baths(once at 8 weeks) and he wasn't happy about the 2nd one at 20 months.
I used a gappay ball to entice him in and he was fine, loved it once he felt how good it was.
the handheld shower attachment is wonderful!
In the summer, I hose them down, it is fun and they enjoy it.
If you feed a diet that is high quality, the doggy smell is a non issue.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My dogs don't get bathed regularly. If they are very dusty or muddy, then yes they get hosed down in the shower. They don't have a doggy smell either.
My 22 month old has had two real baths(once at 8 weeks) and he wasn't happy about the 2nd one at 20 months.
I used a gappay ball to entice him in and he was fine, loved it once he felt how good it was.
the handheld shower attachment is wonderful!
In the summer, I hose them down, it is fun and they enjoy it.
If you feed a diet that is high quality, the doggy smell is a non issue.
Heidi gets a bath about twice per year. She tolerates it, but I can tell it's not the highlight of her day. She smells good. However, her breath smells like her food which she likes more than I do!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I probably wouldn't have bathed her as often if she didn't find old dog poop buried under leaves in my yard and freakin roll in it! I don't even see it till it's too late because of the leaves. Seriously, like four times she did it. We just bought this house and I guess it's from the previous owners. Ewww.

Anyways, my husband has the nose of a dog. He smells things normal people wouldn't. And he's never owned a dog before, so to him the "dog smell" is just Roma's normal scent. She's not smelly at all. You don't even smell her till you stuff your face in her fur and inhale. Regardless, my husband demands that she gets "bathed" regularly. So I use ONLY conditioner. No shampoo. I figured it was similar to people; I wash my hair once a week but I condition three to four times a week. I didn't think I was stripping oils by just conditioning. That is the last thing I want to do.

Believe me, I brush her every day, like twice a day. She's a mix between a short coat GSD and long coat GSD. So she's REALLY fluffy. Thanks for all the suggestions! I might try getting in the bath with her on day and see if that helps her.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My adults get a shower maybe once a year. Brushed weekly or more, but only washed once a year.

Everyone comments how nice their coats are etc etc but it's not the bathing, it's the brushing.

They spend just as much time indoors as they do out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the tea tree oil idea! I might try that. I wish I could shower with her, but I don't think we could fit in the tub. lol. But I know what you're talking about and I'm jealous of you.

And Roma is so cute after a bath, she just snuggles in my lap (or half way in my lap now. She's getting big!) and falls asleep!! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My adults get a shower maybe once a year. Brushed weekly or more, but only washed once a year.

Everyone comments how nice their coats are etc etc but it's not the bathing, it's the brushing.

They spend just as much time indoors as they do out.

Gorgeous!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
535 Posts
............and I have said it before and i'll say it again but I read before I got a GSD they can be a bit "pongy" aka on-the-nose . Honestly I think my dog smells heavenly but then maybe I am biased. Everyone who comes near her comments on her lovely coat and cleanliness etc ! I also think her breath is fine and am happy to have her up in my face though last night she was giving me some licks and she jagged a bottom tooth up in my nostril and blood spurted everywhere ! OUUUUUUUUCH !

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Maybe she was asking for a bath....a blood bath.

·
Super Moderator
32,425 Posts
Superbowl Sunday, two years ago:

Seriously though, try a waterless shampoo or one of the Earthbath grooming foams.

·
Registered
852 Posts
As stated, bathing a dog this often is not good. However, what you described is NOWHERE near as bad as it could be. Daisy used to howl and scream when I would bathe her. Luckily that only lasted about a year, so for about 2 baths. Last time she tried to get out once but then just stood their sad.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Your going to strip all her natural oils and open her up to skin infections with all that bathing conditioner or not. They do make puppy safe smelly sprays that are more delicate if he's that sensitive to dog smell.

I used to bathe with Zoe when she was little right in our tub. However too soon she got way to big for all of that and getting her in the tub became impossible despite treats and luring. So now she is leashed to the fence to get her bathes and behaves wonderfully like that. She's only had 3 baths in 14 months though once for rolling in deer poo intentionally,lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts