German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We are purchasing this shed which is 8X16 feet. Part of it will be blocked off inside with a wall to separate yard tools from the dogs' side. Their side will be 8X12 feet. I will mount a doggie door in it and this will lead to a large kennel outside. The whole thing will sit behind our garage which is not visible from the street and barely visible to our neighbors so it should reduce the amount of barking done by my neighbor's dogs - she's already had complaints filed against them. This will be where my dogs will be when we aren't home. They will be out of sight from people going by the front of my house. It's proving to be impossible in this house to keep them confined to one area by use of a plastic pen. I hate to line up crates and restrict them to that small a space for that long. That way the dining area where I currently keep them in a pen can be used for something else.

I plan to apply stick on vinyl tile to the floor and partly up the walls in the shed in case of potty accidents and for easier cleanup. We are also installing electric for lights and a window air conditioner as well as insulating/drywalling the interior. I don't want them to potty on the grass in the kennel part so I thought about laying down straw again which I don't like much since they track it all over the house so how about pea gravel? I think that would prevent mud to keep things cleaner and it would make poop cleanup easier. On the inside I think I might purchase a couple cheap twin beds/mattresses for them to lay on instead of dog beds - that way I can put waterproof mattress protectors on them. Any other ideas on what I should put in there? I think I will paint it a bright color inside and hang all my dog related pictures too. Thinking it will be a pretty cool "dog house" for them once I'm done. I'll have to post pics in progress. I'm hoping to have it all done by August.

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
I use cots instead of mattresses, they are easy to take out and hose off if necessary. Mildew will not grow on them. Bugs and critters do not find them appealing.

The doggy door idea sounds great, I do not know how your dogs are together, what their ages are, etc, but it might be a good idea to make it in such a way that you can separate them if necessary. For example if you make it 6x20 feet, then you really cannot split it in half down the line if it becomes necessary, but if you make it 10 or 12 foot by 15 you could.

Just because their side is 8x12, does not mean you cannot overlap a bit on one or both sides. Still 12 x20 should be large enough so that even if you want to split it in half 6x20 is still better than 4x20.

They say longer is better -- dog gets more exercise. But wider is good too, because they do not half to trapes through their messes as much.

I usually let mine out one by one after they eat, wait until they poo, and clean it up immediately, and then I kennel them for the day. When I bring them in, I pick up any piles they made during the day. This keeps their kennel clean all the time.

I had a section of wood chips in mine for a while. That worked nicely they did their business in the wood chips. Cleaning that out monthly was a pain. Oh, I cleaned poo every day, but the urine ammonia smell when cleaning the cedar chips out, it could knock you down. And really, it never smelled at all until I went to clean it.

However, with no chips, I can just hose the concrete down occasionally and the regular rain, and I never have the urine filled chips to manage.

Top priority in any area that rains is drainage. If you are going concrete, whatever slope you contractor wants, make him double it. If I had it to do over again, I would make a little canal at the bottom of the runs and have that slope down to the end.

Good luck.

I finely built kennel can be an awesome thing for your dogs, so long as your back yard is fenced around and secure. It may be a good idea to plant a hedge or put some privacy fencing up to bar any areas where the dogs can glimps the neighbors going back and forth.

If they have complaints against them, they may be all to happy to rush and fill out complaints against you. Unless they are really good friends, you might want to consider some type of surveilance.

Boy, now I am sounding paranoid. But people are funny. Sometimes they complain about dogs barking that are not even barking. And you cannot prove that they are not.

So, do your utmost to ensure that your dog's viewpoint has the least amount of regular traffic, and cover your butt as much as possible. Somebody in your neighborhood wants to swear out complaints.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My neighbor said her neighbor on her other side has complained about her dogs off and on for years - they are older people and just don't like dogs. It doesn't help that my neighbor has a sheltie and a few Beagle mixes - yes they are vocal and I hear them barking too but it doesn't bother me - they are outside 24/7 and bark at all hours of the day/night. I just don't hear them as well because she keeps them on the side of her yard closest to her neighbor that complains - which is right by the bedroom part of their house. Not wise, but she has completely landscaped the side of yard against mine and the dogs had torn it up so she moved them to the other side. We've only lived there for one year and haven't had a problem with our dogs barking - but hers do bark at mine. Mine bark at people walking by on the sidewalk which they can see from their current potty yard which is also why I want to relocate their potty yard. Figured if her dogs couldn't see my dogs then they might not bark as much and she wouldn't have to hear complaints from her other neighbor. The kennel fencing is 6 foot tall that we have and chain link so for more privacy I may use some fake bamboo screening around it so there is even less view. But they would be hidden mostly by our house from the dogs in the next yard.

I'd love to do concrete but oh my god is it ever expensive! We plan to sell this house in 4-5 yrs so I don't want to put too much money into it since I plan to take it all with us when we move. Concrete is a little too permanent.

It would mostly be for Ursa, Spirit, Kara and Nico since they all get along fine - Kaiser is the only one who has gotten grumpy with them lately so he will either remain crated in the house or get his own smaller portion by himself. I can make the kennel runs as long/wide as I want since we have enough of it.

Good idea about the cots, I hadn't thought of that.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
What are you planning on making it out of? I need to get a current picture of ours that went up late this spring, but we spent probably 6 - 700 on it total just in materials. My father is a retired engineer of 20 or 25 yrs, now turned contractor, and never built a dog kennel like this but we wanted a non-standard kennel custom built. We did not like the regular chain link ones sold in stores, so he gave up an entire weekend to work his butt off with my SO and build this. Price wise, we would have spent the same or even more putting up a standard chain link kennel of the dimensions and height we wanted it.

We already had a poured concrete pad that was around 16 x 24 ft in the backyard (prior owners built it for a b-ball court) and we extended the kennel beyond that length wise so it's now I think 18 x 30 ft. Sand was put over the grass as we knew it would be torn up in a heartbeat.

We use ours for a variety of things. For awhile it was daytime "turnout" for our foster girl who had just weaned pups and was being treated for HW's. She couldn't run and play with the others, but was so laid back she could be in the kennel for the day so she wasn't cooped up inside. She's through with that and been adopted, goes home in two days, so currently it's being used for rehab for our GSD who had a hip replaced....

Also use it when doing yard work (lawn mowing, weed eating, etc) and everyone goes in it to stay safe and out of the way. It's great for rainy day potty breaks if it's been raining for a week and we want them to stay clean and out of muddy spots in the yard.

We used wood posts sunk 3 ft into the ground, livestock grade 2 x 4 wire fencing, and wood rails around. Imagine a horse pasture fencing, with the livestock wire in between the posts and the rails. Looks much nicer, and it is MUCH more secure than any standard dog kennel would ever be.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is made of wood and then the chain link kennel fencing will run off it. It's being delivered and built on the 14th so I'll post pics once it's all done. I got some peel and stick tiles to put on the floor so cleanup will be easy. Think I might buy a box fan and suspend it from the ceiling pointing down for air movement. Plus I have a portable air conditioner to put in it too. I think they will like it and it will allow me to start fostering again too since I can use it for either my own dogs or a foster (not all at the same time of course).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts