German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello, My purebred GSD, Marty will be four years old on November 25, 2020 and is an amazingly handsome dog. He's at 90 lbs and healthy. He loves me and Gail and we can do just about anything with him. Give him a bone, take it away, and he's ok with that. Two years ago I was walking him in the neighborhood and we stopped at a yard sale. The girl who ran the yard sale came up and reached out to pet Marty and he bit her causing three stitches on her forearm...so there is that. He also does not like other dogs. He does the berserk barking, though when I walk him he is a perfect gentleman, good with people, bicyclist, neighbors, etc. He was practicing social distancing before it became fashionable. In other words keep six feet away. He doesn't growl or get nasty but if you get too close he will nip you...and that can mean stiches. With other dogs, they bark in friendship while he barks to go bite them.
I walk with him everyday and he is easy on the leash with our two or three mile walks. We also have a 40' kennel he hangs out in. And then is a twenty foot run in the back yard as well as the front where he also has a farmers porch. So, not so deprived...
We have had trainers look at him and what they come up with is that he is anxious, aggressive, and not likely to change. He is a one person or one family dog...others stay away.
He has now settled down a bit so that he can hang out with us in the house. He actually will lay down and snooze but if I happen to cough or clear my throat he is back up on duty.
We are a 70 year old couple and I was thinking that Marty would be like my childhood Shephard but maybe my memory of that childhood Shepherd is somehow clouded.
We have grandchildren, friends, other people with dogs, and Marty just cant be trusted not to bite some person or another dog. It's sad. We have tried so many ways, but we can never trust him not to harm someone.
We need to find a new home for Marty. I can send pictures. Please call or text me at [ removed ]
Thank you for listening,
John

·
Super Moderator
6,973 Posts
Subject Line Must be in the following order:
City, State and Name, Sex and age, any other detail you would like to give.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts