I'm right there with you on the shock factor DharmsMom. Thats total BS right there. He just harmed, almost killed a LEO. He's a handsome dog! if i was his handler i probably would have ripped that guy to pieces, waited til he'd been put back together like a puzzle and ripped him to shreds again!
he may be a working dog but he's still a loved member of someones family. Some people just make me sick. I honestly cant wait to move back home and buy some property. This is just another one of those threads you open and your heart hurts because you see another GSD who was hurt and/or needs help. Oh i'm fuming over this. That guy better hope nobody in prison finds out he stabbed a dog. There may be some pretty bad people in prison but the majority are animal lovers who would shred his behind before you could say dead meat.
We dont tolerate that in Texas. Not to mention someone suffering MY wrath if they hurt my partner......................
SECTION 1. Chapter 38, Penal Code, is amended by adding Section 38.151 to read as follows:
Sec. 38.151. INTERFERENCE WITH POLICE SERVICE ANIMALS. (a) In this section:
(1) "Area of control" includes a vehicle, trailer, kennel, pen, or yard.
(2) "Handler or rider" means a peace officer, corrections officer, or jailer who is specially trained to use a police service animal for law enforcement, corrections, prison or jail security, or investigative purposes.
(3) "Police service animal" means a dog, horse, or other domesticated animal that is specially trained for use by a handler or rider.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person recklessly:
(1) taunts, torments, or strikes a police service animal;
(2) throws an object or substance at a police service animal;
(3) interferes with or obstructs a police service animal or interferes with or obstructs the handler or rider of a police service animal in a manner that:
(A) inhibits or restricts the handler's or rider's control of the animal; or
(B) deprives the handler or rider of control of the animal;
(4) releases a police service animal from its area of control;
(5) enters the area of control of a police service animal without the effective consent of the handler or rider, including placing food or any other object or substance into that area;
(6) injures or kills a police service animal; or
(7) engages in conduct likely to injure or kill a police service animal, including administering or setting a poison, trap, or any other object or substance.
(c) An offense under this section is:
(1) a Class C misdemeanor if the person commits an offense under Subsection (b)(1);
(2) a Class B misdemeanor if the person commits an offense under Subsection (b)(2);
(3) a Class A misdemeanor if the person commits an offense under Subsection (b)(3), (4), or (5);
(4) a state jail felony if the person commits an offense under Subsection (b)(6) or (7) by injuring a police service animal or by engaging in conduct likely to injure the animal; or
(5) a felony of the third degree if the person commits an offense under Subsection (b)(6) or (7) by killing a police service animal or by engaging in conduct likely to kill the animal.