German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I have a 9mo old GSD who I love so much. Training has been a struggle sometimes for us but one thing that we can not seem to get under control is the anxiety. He has separation anxiety when my SO and I are not home. I would say that it is starting to improve within the past month(I have a camera near so I can talk to him when I first leave to calm him down more). Our main thing now is that we just moved into a apartment and I can tell he is excited but also concerned considering we moved from his "original home". At night he starts to freak out when it is bed time. I keep our door closed so he doesn't wander and understands that it is bed time. We never had this big of a issue until recently. At night he will not calm down, for hours(3-6hrs) he will whine, cry, bark, pace, and pant like crazy. I tried keeping the door open and it didn't help, I laid with him, comforted him, I eventually had to put him in his crate and that was the only thing that calmed him down eventually. Since we are in a apartment now I need to be more strict on his barking and loud shepherd whines. Any tips on how to get him to calm down at night and stop barking? we have a appointment to see our vet in April. No negative comments please. Any advice helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you put the crate in the bedroom? My dogs sleep right next to me at night in the same room and never cry.
We have considered it, I just want him out of his crate at night. We might to do this until he gets used to our new place. Thanks so much for the tip!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Don't worry about him being in it at night if it helps or comforts him. My youngest chose to nap in her crate, it was her favorite place.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I find that with GSDs, walks are not enough. Walks (only) for 1-2 days are fine... But come the next day my GSD tends to get restless around my place which is not so big. They need to run for at least 15-20 mins per day. Perhaps you can try playing fetch with your dog. A tired dog is a happy dog

1 - 6 of 6 Posts