German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simba has major major MAJOR anxiety, even after his crate training which has been going well. He's fine alone in there without me in the room. Today, we thought maybe we can go for lunch and he'd be fine. Instead, he got really sick from barking and threw up his breakfast, and he cried for about an hour after. Ugh. I feel horrible. Depressed actually. I guess he's not fine alone even after the training? Like, my other puppy never got this bad when left alone. Guthrie is really horrible, I feel like I failed and like such a bad owner.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
try leaving a radio on when you go, give him something safe to gnaw on. Don't make a fuss when you leave and don't make a fuss when you return. He'll "get" it, he's young, as long as he isn't hurting himself physically . Leave him shorter periods and then start extending them

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never make a fuss when I leave. What I did yesterday was before I went out, I let him bite my hand/arm and said "Biting Bad", but when he didn't stop, like he normally doesn't do. I put him in the room. All the paint at the bottom of my door is scratched off. I don't think I'll ever leave him alone for an hour again. I'll order pizza in for lunch instead. I still feel horrible about it. He was really mad at me! Although he came up to me after and climbed on me and put his paws/head on and around my shoulder when I returned, he left me after and wouldn't look or "talk" to me for a good hour!

I feel horrible. Even if he has to learn to get it, ugh. I feel horrible. Horrible!

·
Registered
380 Posts
When you go out, you should put him in the crate, not just alone in the bedroom. It will help prevent him from getting hurt on things, and also protect your things from him.

I also wouldn't "punish" him by giving him a time out before you leave, because time outs should be short (30 seconds). If he thought he was in a time out, but you were really leaving, he probably wondered why you didn't come back & then after 30 seconds or so, they find other things to occupy themselves with (scratching the door, etc)

We started crate training by just letting Jazmyn spend 20 minutes in her crate, even if we were home. Then we'd let her out for potty & playtime. She'd go back in, get a few treats, and eventually come back out again. It basically let her know that yes, you do have to go in your crate, but we'll come get you and it will be fun afterwards.

We started with very short time periods while we were home. Then hubby & I would go take a walk around the block, then we'd go to the store, then to dinner, and now at 16 weeks old, we can leave her for about 4 hours with absolutely no issue.

This is our routine for leaving that has worked well for us:
1) Potty break - Hubby takes Jaz out
2) I hide a few treats in her crate while they're outside, easy to find but beside her stuffed animal, etc
3) He comes in and we both say "Go to your crate" (we'd guide her in at first, now she runs in on her own) and then "find your treats"
4) While she looks for treats, we'd close the door. When she was done, we'd ask her to lay down.
5) Put on music
6) Go in & out of the room a few times, treating her with 1 kibble each time (increasing the length). We usually do this 3 times
7) We leave :)

By the time we leave, she's usually laying down comfortably, dozing off. We always come back to a sleeping puppy. Now we can give her 1 kibble and we can go. Soon enough we'll be able to just leave.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's fine in the crate alone for more than a couple hours when he knows someone is home, and my bedroom is puppy-proofed because I like him to have room when I have to leave him for a bit.

On mornings if my boyfriend has to go see a client briefly and my mom/dad are out for their work, he's totally fine in the room. I guess it's because of the time out thing he got really anxious/scared yesterday

·
Registered
109 Posts
Forget the alone in a room thing and start crate training all the time. Best information I have received from this forum.

·
Registered
380 Posts
For time outs, we use an exercise pen. It lets us still be able to move around in the apartment, but Jazmyn knows that she can't join in on the fun. We prefer it to putting her behind a closed door so that if she does get destructive in a short time, we can see it and know whats happening.

If you're really going to use your room and keep Simba free while you're out (definitely don't recommend it for such a young pup, keeping the crate training consistent will make life sooo much easier at this age), it needs to be his safe place & not one you use for time outs. He'll keep getting confused.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you're right, but i'm more worried about Simba going nuts trying to get out of his crate hurting himself than being in my bedroom free running around. I see more harm in the lack of space in the crate because he's clumsy.

i keep everything out of reach and high up which is why i used my room the other day. but seriously not going to do that anymore. i've got a migraine from feeling horrible

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Being in a crate will be much less stressful than being behind a closed door.
He won't hurt himself.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I would crate him all the time (when you have to leave), and work on leaving when he's crated...

Crate him in your room, leave your room (close the door), leave the house (close the door..) return 2 seconds later, walk into your room like you forgot something (completely ignoring him) and then leave again. Wander the house for a bit, leave through the front door again. He'll get, it just takes time. Make sure he's worn out before you crate him and that he doesn't have to go. Give him pig ears, bully sticks, or a frozen/filled kong to chew on when you leave. Good luck, and don't feel bad, almost all puppies go through this, you just have to ignore them for them to learn.

He won't hurt himself.
He could easily hurt himself, but that's something she's got to assess as it happens...

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Well yes if you give things he could choke on while he's in there, he could.
I'd still risk it however, because it's confusing to the dog to be left in the room and he'll hurt himself (and the room) worse if he's uncrated.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Something else to remember about crate training and why it is so good.

If your pup has to spend any time at the vet, he will be crated. If he is trained now, the time spent with the vet will be much less stressful.

As for puppy proofing a room, does really a thing exists? Besides all the usual things to pick up, there is still the carpet, bedding, curtains, mattress... all this can be chewed, sometimes swallowed, especially since we are talking about a puppy.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Well yes if you give things he could choke on while he's in there, he could.
I'd still risk it however, because it's confusing to the dog to be left in the room and he'll hurt himself (and the room) worse if he's uncrated.
I would risk it, too... until the dog did something to hurt himself. I'm just saying that she needs to watch out for that level of anxiety in a dog. He could do a lot more than choke.. he could rip his nails off, break teeth, bend bars and get stabbed, if he's wearing a collar he could hang himself, etc. My GSD has gotten numerous wounds from breaking out of crates, so it is not safe to leave him unsupervised in a crate any longer.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Well we're talking about a dog that could also potentially eat mattresses, carpeting, sheetrock, etc.
If he's scratching the paint off the door that's hardly good for his nails.
The crate needs to be reinforced so he can eventually be left alone. Continue crate training (in a more positive light) so he doesn't harm himself in it.

Sitting home isn't going to cure him of his SA, if he's developing it.
And crates are the only saving grace for true SA, or else medicating and/or training the dog to be less SA.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Well we're talking about a dog that could also potentially eat mattresses, carpeting, sheetrock, etc.
If he's scratching the paint off the door that's hardly good for his nails.
The crate needs to be reinforced so he can eventually be left alone. Continue crate training (in a more positive light) so he doesn't harm himself in it.

Sitting home isn't going to cure him of his SA, if he's developing it.
And crates are the only saving grace for true SA, or else medicating and/or training the dog to be less SA.
I never disagreed with anything else that you said and reiterated the exact same things...

However, how is a crate the only saving grace for a true SA dog? Isn't for mine- it's a death trap.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
If the dog can be crate trained (and not harm itself in there) you can at least leave the house?

If the dog is unable to be crate trained you cannot safely leave him anywhere.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I know you've been talking about wanting a confident, independent puppy, so I'm going to give you a bit of advice...stop feeling bad for him. My dog is 1.5 years old and still spends time in his crate. We are just now beginning to test him outside the crate when we leave. He loves his crate, he goes in there when we are home just to sleep, its his place where he knows we won't bother him. When I feel like messing with him and climb in there with him, he gets the funniest surprised look on his face.

Your puppy will learn to love his crate, it will be his "den." The fact that he's already scratched up your door is a huge reason to keep him locked in a crate. There is nothing in there that he can hurt himself on. What does being clumsy have to do with sitting in a crate? He shouldn't have room to move around enough to where his clumsiness would be an issue.

But seriously, start looking at him more as a dog, he isn't a human baby and shouldn't give YOU anxiety over leaving him home in his crate. Like your statement about him being mad at you...stop humanizing your dog. They don't have the same emotions as we do. That was not anger that caused him to scratch your door, dogs do not think that way (although we sometimes think they do things to get back at us, they do not). Its just funny to say that my dog did this because I did this, but they don't think that way. He doesn't know that scratching your door will piss you off, he just wanted to dig through it to get out.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
If the dog is unable to be crate trained you cannot safely leave him anywhere.
Why not? I seem to do so just fine with my dog every day... :confused:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
A dog with separation anxiety that destroys everything plus the crate??
No.. I never said that, and I'm not sure why you'd assume that any dog with SA would destroy everything and a crate? SA comes in many, MANY shapes and sizes and can be managed or cured in many different ways depending on the dog. It is completely unfair to say that a crate is the only safe place for a dog with SA and that if a dog with SA cannot be crate trained that it can't be left alone. That's crazy-talk.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts