German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just had the weirdest experience...

My regular mailman is super nice. He is always friendly and talks to my kids etc. Well today there was a substitute mailman who I have never seen before. He saw me taking Saber potty (10 weeks old) in my yard and came across the street and said "Oh I have to say hi to the puppy!" He petted her for a minute. He said "is this a shepherd?" and I said yes. Then he stood up and said to her, "You remember this about the MAILMAN when you get older! You know what will happen to YOU if you BITE the mailman???" (Saber is wagging). He looks at her and then at me and he draws his finger across his throat in a slashing motion... and he says, "they'll put you DOWN."

Then he walks away. Weirdo!! Thank goodness he isn't our regular mailman!

·
Registered
334 Posts
That is weird! I'm not sure how I would have responded to that.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
What a jerk! I remember when chief was an 8 week old baby. I brought him out to potty for the first time, and our neighbor came over and said to me " I'll bet he's dead within the year. all the dogs on this street get hit by cars." I was stunned. Chief lived until he was 12 and died in his sleep.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I assume he was trying to be funny...but come on, dude! Don't talk about putting people's dogs down!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
That is disturbing. I would call the post office. (Although based on my last attempt to call my local post office, it might be easier to go in and see if you can talk to your postmaster.)

·
Registered
102 Posts
people always walk away from our dog and say watch that dog it will bite, i ***foul language removed by Admin**** hate it!!!!!!

stereotyping dogs isn't nice our dog is well mannered and groomed she is no guard dog or stray

·
Registered
403 Posts
He probably has a weird sense of humor. I bet he meant it to be funny, but it just came out weird. You know how it is in movies and stories about how the dogs always chase the mailman? That's probably what he meant. It's like a teacher telling a new student that they better bring them an apple or they'll get an F.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I've had a couple of people make mock-threats against my dogs, trying to be funny. Every time it happens, I look them dead in the eye and say, with a completely straight face, "If you ever lay a hand on my dog again, I will shoot you in the head and bury you in the cornfield." (there's a huge cornfield right behind my house)

They're always really taken aback, but it helps to drive home the point that threats, even made in a joking manner, are not funny.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
My guess is that he was trying to be somewhat funny (failed) and as a warning. Not a threat, but think of how many people don't control their dogs that the mail man probably has to deal with? Depending on where you are bite laws are strict.

If Im walking down the road to give people their mail and a loose dog comes up and bites me, you bet your bottom I'd want it put down. I don't tolerate dogs who are left to randomly bite people as they wish.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I actually thought that was kind of funny... But I'm a bit warped.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I would have asked what would happen if I bit him,lol Some people are just completely socially clueless and need a biting comment back no pun intended to put in perspective that they were rude:)

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
C'mon it sounds like he was just kidding! I guess one would have to have seen his body language and heard his tone to be sure but that is what it sounds like.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It does sound like it was a joke, but I would have to have seen the tone and body language, as codmaster said.

Reading it, I almost took it as "You're such a nice puppy. Stay that way so nothing bad every happens to you."

With that said... if you do complain and find out the name of the mailman, please, PLEASE PM me. I knew a postal carrier here in Washington who was a really creepy guy. He always struck me as the dude that ends up on the news as a serial killer. Being a Washington Guardsman... statistically, his chances were already pretty high. :D

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Sorry, I just don't think it's funny. How would he like it if i went to his house and joked about killing one of his kids? Oh, wait, that's inappropriate? My point exactly.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know, I really don't think he was joking, but I could be wrong. It did seem like he was trying to give me a "warning" not to let her grow up and be vicious. But the way he said it sort of creeped me out.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
come on people, toughen up a bit. Sheesh, most people by a shepherd because of the images it holds in other people's minds. One of loyalty, protection and yes, some bite. Get over it, people are going to say "mean" things about your dog.

but I hardly think this guy meant anything other than a slightly off joke.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts