German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I joined a while ago but I haven't really posted. I own a four year old female longhaired German Shepherd named Madison.

Anyways, I finally got around to giving her a bath (I've been meaning to for a while), and she, as usual, spent the entire time glaring at me like I was the worst dog owner ever to abuse her like this. Despite all her miserable looks, she got her bath, and I untied her from the pole she was tied to (I learned quickly that giving a big dog a bath in a small bathroom is not a good idea). I took her for a walk to let the sun dry off her thick coat before I brought her inside to our newly re-done wood floors. The neighbourhood kids were riding their bikes (there were 4 of them, I knew all but the smallest, and they knew me and Madison). They stopped to talk to me and I made Maddie sit and I was talking to them about her. They asked if they could pet her, and I said sure, so the two oldest girls (who are about 8-10 yrs old, something like that) came up and pet her. Maddie was overjoyed that she was getting attention, and was trying to jump up on them (*sigh* that's been a constant battle). The little girl was pretty nervous, but I assured her that Maddie was friendly, and she came up and pet her nose. Then one of the girls held her and out to Maddie and told her to shake. Now, Maddie knows this trick really well (too well as everytime I'm eating I get a paw in my lap), but she usually will only do this if we have food (little brat). This time, Maddie put her paw right in the girl's hand, I also told her to high five (which she usually doesn't do real well), and she did it. I was so proud of my girl, since some of the kids were a little nervous around her and she did so well.
Lol, I know this is small, but I've had some issues with her barking at adults, and I was so happy that she behaved and let the kids pet her and show them that not all GSDs are big and scarey!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Way to go Madison. There's one little girl who hopefully won't be nervous for too much longer!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, I hope so. Maddie's a little angel around kids <3 Though she can be a little too rambunctious, but there have been several times scared kids have been talking to me and I've managed to get them to come up and pet Madison. Now, adults, that's a different story, she likes to bark at adults *shakes head*

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Wonderful ending to the dreaded 'bath day'!!!

Great that the 'paw' and 'high five' were done for the kids without a treat!!

Good girl Madison!!

·
Super Moderator
7,340 Posts
Originally Posted By: AmeeraLol, I hope so. Maddie's a little angel around kids <3 Though she can be a little too rambunctious, but there have been several times scared kids have been talking to me and I've managed to get them to come up and pet Madison. Now, adults, that's a different story, she likes to bark at adults *shakes head*
thats interesting, my brothers GSD (she's got a bit of something weird in her too... basenji or whippet) is the same way - getting along GREAT with kids but is 'iffy' with adults. she's now to the point where she'll only bark if you press the issue with her, for instance she'll play fetch with a complete stranger and fool them into thinking she's friendly, but if they approach her or try and pet her she barks. when i originally adopted her she litterally leaped right into my arms (she was just 28lbs then), and she did the same to my brother when she met him - everyone else had to pass some sort of test with her, lol, we call it staring competitions because she'll sit in the middle of a room for an hour and just stare at someone new w/o budging, then out of no where go over and lick their hand (that means you've passed
)

gah, sorry, getting waaaaaaaaaay off topic!

WAY TO GO MADISON
any pics of your girl?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took her down to the local college, which puts on a big 4th of July thing, and she let all the little kids pet her and was really gentle. A guy asked if she would like a piece of chicken that had fallen off the grill, so she even got free food.

Yeah, I dunno what it is with Madison and adults, but recently (since we moved back to the US after living in Egypt for 2 years-which is where I got her) she's been barking at random adults who pass us as I walk her. I don't know what it is, but she'll just bark. And other people she's perfectly fine with *shakes head* She's perfect with kids though, if there are kids who look interested in her but are scared, I'll talk to them, and they'll usually come up and pet her and she does fine. I'll pose pics of her soon, that was part of the reason why she got a bath, so she'd be all pretty for pictures

·
Super Moderator
7,340 Posts
the only time it would get tough is if kiely was playing with a kid and their parent would come over. kiley would then park at the adult (even if just a single bark) then the parent would look at me as if i was endangering their child. some accepted the explanation - others wanted to hear nothing of it.

aw well. like i said, she's more or less over it - i just baffles me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, I occasionally get parents telling their kids to come away from the dog (after they've already petted her, of course), but I haven't had Madison bark at the parents. Most of the time if she sniffs whoever it is she's barking at and realizes that they're not going to eat me, then she's fine (but most people see a barking GSD with a muzzle like head halter around her nose and stay away lol, can't say I'd blame them, really).

·
Super Moderator
7,340 Posts
wow, i just noticed the typos in my last post... i should definitely head to bed, lol. i don't know who kiley is and i'm not sure how a dog can park at someone

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL. I don't think I even noticed those (I was reading it at about 2-3 AM)! That's funny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts