German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my husband and I purchased a big freezer, and today we started buying meat.
Durzo still has about two weeks left of his BB food, then its all raw for him :)
We will be starting him off on chicken quarters for the first week.
I'm excited!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Congratulations! Yes, chicken quarters, don't forget to remove cortical bones. You dog would need the whole variety of meet, don't feed "heavy" stuff like beef too often, always provide it with a bone, bone material is very important for guts. Somebody, somewhere is shooting rabbits, and somebody somewhere is shooting water rats, and somebody sells them. Their meat is the best imaginable for your dog, if only you can do a market reserch to buy them frozen. Don't forget about sea fish, it's crucial for your dog's joints.
Don't feed your dog fresh eggs, they have bad bacteria exactly this time of year.
With feeding raw your puppy would be happier, healthier, and subsequently more intelligent if to believe Chinese - "I am what I eat".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations! Yes, chicken quarters, don't forget to remove cortical bones. You dog would need the whole variety of meet, don't feed "heavy" stuff like beef too often, always provide it with a bone, bone material is very important for guts. Somebody, somewhere is shooting rabbits, and somebody somewhere is shooting water rats, and somebody sells them. Their meat is the best imaginable for your dog, if only you can do a market reserch to buy them frozen. Don't forget about sea fish, it's crucial for your dog's joints.
Don't feed your dog fresh eggs, they have bad bacteria exactly this time of year.
With feeding raw your puppy would be happier, healthier, and subsequently more intelligent if to believe Chinese - "I am what I eat".
Thank you for the tips :)
I always thought raw eggs were okay for dogs though?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Congratulations! Yes, chicken quarters, don't forget to remove cortical bones.
You do NOT need to remove ANY bones when feeding chicken. EVERY bone in a commercial baking chicken is edible.

Now, if you are getting old laying hens - aka Roasters - then the leg bones may be tougher but they are still edible for a GSD.

Don't forget about sea fish, it's crucial for your dog's joints.
Ummm - can you post any evidence of this? Salmon oil is very good for dogs joints but certain types of fresh salmon can be fatal to dogs. There are bugs - flukes - that infest Pacific NW Salmon and if eaten by a dog when raw will cause serious illness and possible death.

Again - please post evidence of this. My dogs eat fresh eggs (as in right from the chicken) ALL year long and have no problems. They also eat store bought ones (which are more likely to be 'bad').

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Yesterday my husband and I purchased a big freezer, and today we started buying meat.
Durzo still has about two weeks left of his BB food, then its all raw for him :)
We will be starting him off on chicken quarters for the first week.
I'm excited!
Congrats for deciding to make the switch!

You are on the right track - big freezer, stocking up - but make sure you have the details worked out too.

Do you know how much you should be feeding each day - in total food? Do you know what percentages of each type of food you will be feeding?

Have you looked for good sources for different types of proteins? After the first couple weeks you really want to be feeding at least 3-5 different protein sources per week. That means different animals - beef, pork, fish, chicken, turkey, rabbit, goat, bison, venison, llama, emu, duck, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts