German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not a newb dog owner. I have rehabilitated E-list dogs (selecting pits- aussies-terriers, bull mastiff, chows, and an occasional really deserving dog of some other breed ). I competed with Brittany Spaniels and Chow Chows.
But most of my adoptables and companions were over 5 months old whem chosen/rescued. And though I've had wolf hybrids and a Shep husky mix, the only pure shepherd around me was a big White GSD named Spike who decided that he was my shadow and the owner just kinda of borrowed him for breeding occasionally until he moved with him after 4 years >_< (found later he was offered to us but step dad was afraid of him)
Melasa is from pedigreed Old fashion type dogs with 4 previous dogs verifiably in local law enforcement and one in service. Her parents have faded light coloring but are both saddle . They throw primarly true sables, occasional bicolor and some saddles. Melasa is the darkest saddle predicted pup they have had. She is also the largest of either gender. Now the catch:
She was only puppy of litter- I had just barely missed getting her previous sibling. They have a very nice enclosure within their fully fences yard. But there was a lot of bustle this year so that a planned vacation could come to pass. (I used to release my dogs at 14 weeks with few special exceptions; I have her for the price of her first vet visit and care at 6 weeks since they liked her purpose with us)

I wonder if her socialization got stunted.

She is smart... it took 24 hours to housetrain her though she has never been in a home for any length of time. She has opened my dresser drawer to grab my socks. Opened the fridge. Has shut my door when she wants to nap on the vent and not play with my boy . She opens the bathroom door (luckily our exterior doors have deadbolts) to stalk my sisal floor mat. She has evil designs on my all natural pair of Madden clogs. She has got "leave it" "fetch it" "sit" "lay" "no bite" and gets more consistant.
She will go to her crate when told. She is usually velcroed to my son or I. Her prey drive is selective. She will play fetch til she has to rest. She likes grabbing at things to tug. I don't like how she watches cars on the main road when they are noisy. Chases butterflies, yet squirrel can leap right over her head and only get interest. She is ambivilent with cats. It was not mentioned if breeders owned any. We have a "visitor" outdoor
cat.
She is stubborn, drama Queen and gives sass... (the Maddens must go on closet shelf). When give sharper "no" (counter surfing, targeting wires, roughhousing) she will give a bratty growling yap or two then pout for a while. (she is the talkiest dog other than my husky mix , I've had) . Once in the crate she cries like she broke a leg... even if door is open. She hates being on the lead if it's short. I had her on the flexi getting accustomed to collar until incident and following attitude.

But she is reserved generally, more Chow than my Chows were. She doesn't run up waggy butt to strangers, not even kids. Her demeanor ; when not lasping into unavoidable puppy/land shark behavior; is rather alert and watchful.
The Incident:
4 days ago when it was nice enough (been raining for weeks : ( ) for us all to be out, the Pit from 2 houses down rushed us. It is a typical Pit... affectionate to humans and not so friendly to other animals. Specially since no other home on this block has owned a dog for its lifespan. It plays with the children who visit their dad's next door has had a friendly interaction with my son. The dog is terrified of me...
It came bouncing towards my son and noticed Melasa and raised its hackles. Melasa's reaction was far more hostile and her body language made it stand still and back slightly. I had a heck of a time retrieving her line and avoiding a dog fight that she was not equipped to win. And she kept placing herself between us and the other dog. Disaster was averted for as soon as I had Melasa safe in my arms, I could get the dog to run home and away from me.
but Melasa is fixated. She has taken to obviously marking the fenceline in the direction that dog lives. The next day she snipped loose (goodbye flexi) and headed for where that dog is normally in an enclosure, refused to come to call.
She is now VERY resentful of being on standard 6 ft lead and training chain collar. Weds night she looked me in the eye and crapped in front of me. Later as I brought her in after she had finished business, I first had to give her corrections for trying to go to fence and shinny under. Today was better after ignoring her several hours after the incident she is more herself. But she still growls, stiffens and wants to be at the fence. She seemed okay today towards Boxer visiting in fenced yard across the way

I am surprised for such strong dog aggression or protective and territorial behavior from so young a dog.
She was born May 20, she is only 7 weeks. Is this a Shepherd trait that just is part of the breed growing pains or the fact that she is not dog socialized except her parents? To be sponsored in the autism dog school though AZ DDS she has to have full health, be 14 months, have obedience and passed temperment & CGC.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
7 weeks does seem too young for such behavior but then again, your Melissa had to grow up fast and did lack socialization. Since you are concerned about her qualifying to be an autism therapy dog, I suggest you contact the school and maybe they can help or advise you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The school suggested extra help from a trainer until she is old enough for reliable temperament test and extra socialization. socialization, socialization. I am out of state helping my mother in NC this summer, so trainers they know/suggest are a bit far away.

I guess I'll just keep pecking away at her training until I can get into a school when my son is in school.
But I was wondering if it was the EU patrol dog bloodline popping thru.
With her drive the only thing that is not an option is not training her.
*sigh* She is definitely already a dog that does not like unemployment

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
From wanna be Alpha to OMG Im the Omega! *sigh*

Aiiieee! my least favorite trait has popped up ... excited piddling!
And Omega piddling!

I have not used any harsh measure in correcting her other than an hour of alone time. She is becoming an awful counter surfer now that she has height and has memo that what she smells ...is food.

I knee bump her for jump ups and will tap her nose if it is on counter.

Especially with men she is Excited peeing. With me it is roll over omega when I tell her to go to her crate or to leave off something in the "no zones".
She spent much of the week I was gone kenneled because sitter can't do more than see to her needs but had to care for my son and my disabled mum. It brought this behavior out strong.

I've never had luck training this completely out of a dog...only had 4 that did it. One was a collie, one was abused. The min pin I got to stop it after about 6 months; but she was eager to please me. I have no idea why the weiner dog did it.
So 3 over 1 failure rate

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Since it just started and with the large amounts, I suggest you take her to the vet to rule out a bladder infection. Otherwise, it could be the kneeing and corrections - it could have made her afraid of you - and then with the separation and being in a kennel - could all add to the stress. Switching to positive methods may help - like clicker training. There are also threads on submissive peeing that you may find helpful.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have to run into work in a moment but I would venture to say the barking was more fear. 7 weeks- with any background- is too young for "protection" and with the lack of socialization she has no clue what that dog wanted with your son and was spooked.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts