German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm sure this subject has been discussed. Couldn't find it easily with the google search, however. :)

But anyway, tonight he actually reacted to an animated commercial for Lady & the Tramp. How could he have possibly recognized they were dogs?

I know some of you may think I'm nuts. But Mac watches TV and only reacts, approaches & even barks at the TV when there is a cat, dog or other animal on it.

Anyone else observe this?

·
Registered
297 Posts
A couple of months before my old GSD passed she watched a whole movie with me. Never watched TV before, we watched Beverly Hills Chiquaqua's, she watched the dogs with interest and tryed to take a treat offered to one of the dogs on TV. Strangest thing, nice memory of my ol gal.

·
Registered
551 Posts
They can recognize the shapes. A human looks like no other animal with our funny bipedal movement and smooshed faces. Blitz will only react if there's a four legged animal on the screen, birds not so much, people not at all. If I'm watching a nature documentary I have to put him away. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jack watches TV too! It isn't just dogs though. If we put it on those Planet Earth shows, he will watch those animals too. Especially if they are making weird noises. We took this picture Sunday, he just HAD to watch the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
When there are dogs barking on TV, we have to mute the sound because we're afraid Shasta will go through the screen looking for them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My GSD Lacuna aka "Lala", is a tv watching son of a gun. She barks at ANY animal, whether its real life or a cartoon. She barks at bad guys (guys fighting or chasing another human or dog for that matter). And when she's not barking at animals or bad guys she's watching E! Channel with me... Her eyes moving along and following the people on the screen and not just for a few minutes or so but she will sit there and be tentatively watching for however long I am! I'm not saying that she "knows what's going on" but I'm pretty sure she enjoys it. On another note, she likes it so much that when my husband lifts the coffee table up in front of the couch she has to lay her head on the coffee table otherwise, how else would she be able to see?!? LOL!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Lakota loves watching I should say "listening" to the tv. Of course animal sounds are the best, she'll bark occasionally if it's a dog barking or a cat fight sound. Most of the time she will howl instead of barking. Musical instruments are the best, she loves violins, fiddles and any type of horn instrument. She'll even run up to the tv.
The other two older dogs are happy to sing along when she gets them all going!

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I don't have a TV, but neither of my dogs really react much to videos on my computer screen (which is quite large for a computer screen).

Interesting story though. I took Keeta in to the vet soon after adopting her. When we entered the exam room, she just froze and stared up at the wall. Both the vet and I stopped the chit chat and watched her to see what she would do, she was staring so intently. The exam room had a wallpaper border, up around chest level, of lab puppies playing. Keeta approached the wall, and stood up on her hind legs to look at the border up close, and sniff it, then realizing it was nothing, she got back down and turned her attention to the vet, and ignored the border after that. I thought it was pretty amazing for a dog that has spent the first year of her life on a chain to be that observant - the vet said that maybe one or two dogs in a hundred seem to notice the puppies on the wall and show signs of recognition - I thought that was pretty neat!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Not surprised at all these dogs watching TV.

I used the TV and about an hours worth of YouTube videos every day to desensitize Woolf to the sound of dogs barking, growling etc when we first began this journey.

Now programs/movies with animals gets his attention and he watches it, does the head tilt and all lol. You can tell he is a guy though, all the fast car action shots really make him sit up and take notice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts