German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Just need to vent a little. And hoping to find at least one person who will take my side :). Mac is the center of my husband's world and I love that. But, yesterday he did something I think was pretty risky and I just want to vent about it.

I was working in the house for several hours yesterday while my husband played with Mac outside. He came to the window and told me to come outside with the camera. Mac was playing with a huge beautiful german shepherd and I took some pictures of them. Now that Mac's bigger, the neighbors never bring their dogs over to play with him anymore. So I was happy to see Mac with a friend. However, looking around I noticed no one else was in the yard...no parent/owner. I asked my husband "Who's dog is this?" He said he didn't know. So, I said, "put Mac in the house".

I asked the dog to sit and he obeyed so I approached the dog and saw there was a phone number on the tags but the last number was scraped off. I didn't know what the heck to do. I didn't want to call the cops/animal control or whatever because I could see he had parents and I didn't want the poor thing taken to a shelter. Thank goodness, by a stroke of luck, a neighbor walked by and happened to know the owners. So my husband leashed the dog and walked him home.

We cannot let strange dogs play with Mac. What if they would have gotten in a fight? I get chills thinking about what could have happened. Plus, I'm worried about that dog. The parents didn't even know he was gone.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Hi all, Just need to vent a little. And hoping to find at least one person who will take my side :). Mac is the center of my husband's world and I love that. But, yesterday he did something I think was pretty risky and I just want to vent about it.

I was working in the house for several hours yesterday while my husband played with Mac outside. He came to the window and told me to come outside with the camera. Mac was playing with a huge beautiful german shepherd and I took some pictures of them. Now that Mac's bigger, the neighbors never bring their dogs over to play with him anymore. So I was happy to see Mac with a friend. However, looking around I noticed no one else was in the yard...no parent/owner. I asked my husband "Who's dog is this?" He said he didn't know. So, I said, "put Mac in the house".

I asked the dog to sit and he obeyed so I approached the dog and saw there was a phone number on the tags but the last number was scraped off. I didn't know what the heck to do. I didn't want to call the cops/animal control or whatever because I could see he had parents and I didn't want the poor thing taken to a shelter. Thank goodness, by a stroke of luck, a neighbor walked by and happened to know the owners. So my husband leashed the dog and walked him home.

We cannot let strange dogs play with Mac. What if they would have gotten in a fight? I get chills thinking about what could have happened. Plus, I'm worried about that dog. The parents didn't even know he was gone.
I know how you feel we were at the cottage with Molly this summer and a 120bls male GSD showed up in our yard. Molly took off running toward the big dog and it scared the heck out of us. Thankfully the big GSD was friendly they started chasing each other all around the yard and playing. I finally got a hold of Molly and put her in the camp then leashed the other dog and walked up the road to found the owners. The GSD's name was PI-TOO and the owners said he was very friendly!! Now when we go up to the cottage we invite Pi-Too for play dates. I think Molly has a little boyfriend now!:)

please post the pics you took:wub:

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I agree with you! I would not let any dog I did not know near mine esp if no owner around. I would have done the same as you.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'm relaxed as long as the dog seems friendly. Most owners will tell you their dog is friendly and I'm sure we all have a story where that ended up not being the case. A dog fight can happen at any time and while knowing the dog personally is best sometimes you have to let them meet and really find out. We had a golden in our neighborhood that got out ALL the time as a puppy- this thing was a mini escape artist. I would be walking my lab and this thing would just come barreling up at full speed which was scary the first time, but the golden is all play. I'm sure if this dog gave your husband signs he wasn't nice he would have taken Mac in immediately. Maybe Mac has a new friend now?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts