German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my puppy has been in her crate everynight for the past week maybe 2 weeks. I get up and let her out when she whines but she still goes in the crate. She doesnt mind going in her crate. I tell her to "Kennel up" and she runs up the stairs and gets in her crate while i get her treat. She is almost 9 weeks old and cant seem to hold her bladder in the crate for more than an hour. She will pee or poo in the crate and lay all in it. The crate isnt too big for her and i take her out to go potty before we kennel up. Does anyone have any other tricks or tips?

·
Registered
457 Posts
When you say you get up when she whines is she whining because she has pee'd already or you take her out then later in the night she ends up peeing in the crate?

If she can not hold it for an hour take her out every 45 minutes. Do not wait for her to cry you should wake her up. You need to break this habit and be very vigilant for the next week or 2.

Also check with vet for bladder infection but even with an infection you need to make sure she is getting out before she has an accident.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She whines bc she has to go out. I take her out and she potties outside. We come back in and she doesnt whine and pees in her crate. She was in there for maybe 2 hours last night and was whining to go out so i went to pick her up (because she wont walk down the stairs) and she was soaking wet. I have to get up for work at 5am and i cant wake up every hour if she doesnt have to go.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I don't know what to say other than she is still a baby and she cannot hold it for long. I think potty training is the worst stage to go through and especially since you have to get up so early to go to work it makes it hard for you. I got up and took my boy out every time he stirred around but I didn't have to get up early to go to work. I hope that you find a solution to your problem so that she does not continue to go in her crate. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I guess im going to have to suck it up and set an alram to go off every hour. But it will be worth it in the end :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
When is the last meal and when do you put up the water for the night? I've also never had a dog (knock wood!) potty in the crate. Are you disinfecting with Nature's Miracle or another enzyme based cleaner in the morning? Has the puppy been checked for worms? That could also cause frequent accidents. The having to go frequently though it just par for the course; I think my girl finally slept through the night about 12 weeks or so. Hang in there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is her crate bare or do you have something down? My beagle is 8 years old & I have never been able to have anything like padding or a blanket in her crate because she will pee on it. As long as the crate floor is bare she wont pee in there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we put her food up at about 8-9ish. and they go out at about 10 so we can go to bed. She doesnt have anything in her crate, i was going to wait until she was crate trained to give her a blanket or anything. And i havent tried Natures miracle to clean with. I honestly have been cleaning it with kitchen cleaner.. Could that have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Are you free-feeding or set meal times? (my girl eats at 8am, 1pm, 6pm and water is put away about 2 hrs prior to bedtime) Keeping food out til 9ish and then bed an hour later could definitely be part of the problem. I would also try the Nature's Miracle as its supposed to discourage them from going in the same place again. Maybe try putting a blanket/old towel in the crate since you haven't and the ground will feel different and maybe she won't pee on that. I've always had an old beach towel in Dakota's crate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im def. going to try all of these. And yes i am free feeding only because i have a 2 year old pomeranian thats been free fed since birth. I think it is time to change that though!!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Thank you. I guess im going to have to suck it up and set an alram to go off every hour. But it will be worth it in the end :)
This will be the best practice, along with a scheduled feeding. I know it sucks. I did it for almost two weeks. Then, every two hours, then every three, etc. It gets better fast and you're right. It will be worth it.
Rocco has been sleeping through the night (without me having to get up) since before he was 14 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
She whines bc she has to go out. I take her out and she potties outside. We come back in and she doesnt whine and pees in her crate. She was in there for maybe 2 hours last night and was whining to go out so i went to pick her up (because she wont walk down the stairs) and she was soaking wet. I have to get up for work at 5am and i cant wake up every hour if she doesnt have to go.

Make her go. If she don't come in until she has gone. If she takes too long, come inside carrying her (don't put her down) wait a few minutes and then go outside again.
Try using the words "go potty" or "potty" or whatever you want to call it and then praise her a lot when she goes outside.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Im def. going to try all of these. And yes i am free feeding only because i have a 2 year old pomeranian thats been free fed since birth. I think it is time to change that though!!
Sounds good. It can take some time adjusting a free-fed dog to a scheduled feed. I would give like 30 minutes for each meal, then put the food up. Yes, they will probably eat less to start but should get with the program soon. And wow, just saw you are in Dayton, OH--I grew up in Centerville. Small world!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very small world.

I wish i knew somewhere around here to take the pups every once in a while to get out.. But i am going to start scheduled feeding tomorrow lol. And i am cutting it off sooner tonight than normal. I hope this solves the problem :)

Thank you all!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
BrandiB my puppy is 13 weeks and I had EXACTLY the same problem, my posts are still here on the forum from where I posted in desperation.

Winter was doing the same as your pup and I thought she didn't mind lying in her own mess. But I realise now she was confused, she was crying to come out of her crate AFTER messing it because she was uncomfortable. It was hard but I literally had to let her out of the crate EVERY hour for a few weeks. Eventually she learned to hold it because she knew she wouldn't have to hold it for long, that I would come and let her out. Now I get up once/twice through the night. I've actually slept through my alarm before and she's lasted 9 hours! As long as I make sure I'm up before her in the mornings we don't have any problems.

The other thing is she has realised that when I stand by her puppy pad with a treat in my hand and say toilet, that she has to pee to get the treat. I had to make sure I was there everytime she went to the toilet during the day and did the same thing for a few weeks for her to get the hang of it.

Sorry for the long post, but the key is making a plan and sticking to it, no matter what. I really didn't think my plan was working, and yours might not for a while, but it will with perseverance!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I got my puppy when she was 12 weeks and potty training was a nightmare. She did not mind in the least bit playing in her own pee pee or poo poo for that matter. She had serious issues of control. When she was ready to go she didn't give much notice and she would just go. I did the every hour, every two hours, etc and she still wasn't holding it like she should. Finally I got her fixed and she got extremely better over night..so maybe a possible infection was causing mine her issues? She is now 5.5 months and for the most part she does ask to go out if she is out of the crate, but she holds it a lot longer in the crate and water is up by 6pm. She is not 100% but she is at about 95% and I can finally get some sleep:)...Good Luck--I have found that a female german shepherd puppy can be quite stubborn:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you everyone! I am starting scheduled feeding today. I put up her water last night at 7 and she still peed in her crate. We will just have to see what happens the nect couple of days!
Thank you all for your advice! Its greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday i did the scheduled feeding and we went our first full night with NO accidents!! She actually slept all night long. I am so proud of her!! :wub:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts