German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lymphoma, Osteosarcoma, & Hemangiosarcoma in the White Shepherd : A Research Study Needs Our Help!

Jaime F. Modiano, V.M.D., Ph.D. is with the College of Veterinary Medicine and the Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Minnesota. He is not only a German Shepherd Dog owner but is leading the research at the Modiano Lab in hopes of understanding the mechanisms of neoplastic transformation and tumor progression. His lab has already provided the first lines of evidence to support the possible existence of cancer stem cells in canine Hemangiosarcoma and non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. Their current efforts are geared to understanding the origin of these cells (do they arise from a true “stem cell� or from a “dedifferentiated� somatic cell), their potential plasticity to make multiple types of cells or tissues, and their intrinsic resistance to chemotherapy and radiation.

So, what does this have to do with our White (German) Shepherds? His lab is asking for IMMEDIATE ATTENTION regarding participation in their current research projects. They are requesting tumor and blood samples from shepherds that are currently diagnosed with Lymphoma, Osteosarcoma, or Hemangiosarcoma.

DIAGNOSED?

If your shepherd has been diagnosed with one of these cancers, please consider participating in the research project as it is an opportunity to help our beloved breed. You can contact their lab at 612-626-6890 or visit their website for detailed information that you can forward to your veterinarian for collection purposes: Modiano Lab - Study Info

UNAFFECTED?

If your shepherd is ten (10) years old or older and they are unaffected, you can also help by sending a blood-only sample to Modiano Lab’s close collaborators at the Broad Institute. The collection information can be found at: Sending Samples | Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard

COST?

My White Shepherd, Hugo, is now 10.5 years old and “unaffected� so I contacted Dr. Modiano’s lab to see if they were still proactively seeking samples from unaffected dogs. My inquiry was responded to almost immediately by a very friendly and personable staff. They confirmed their need for his blood sample, along with an owner consent form and pedigree. I then contacted my vet and told them a blood collection was needed for research purposes. They waived all fees except for the actual shipping cost.

Please feel free to pass on this information.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts