German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 weeks ago Ty started going off his food, becoming tired, not wanting to play or retrieve, I thought since he didn't have the runs or vomit he would pick up on his own, he didn't so about 4weeks ago we went to the vet. No temp, his weight was down from last time and she felt his general muscling was less too. All blood work came back normal, tick disease negative, BUT she felt since I had found a tick on him once we would start treatment for Lymes. So mega dose of doxy started. Probiotics given 1 hour after.

first blood:Total Protein 66 54 - 75 g/L TOR
Albumin 37 31 - 43 g/L TOR
Globulin 29 18 - 39 g/L TOR
A/G Ratio 1.3 0.8 - 1.7 TOR
ALP 60 24 - 141 IU/L TOR
ALT 78 5 - 95 IU/L TOR
Glucose 5.4 3.6 - 7.0 mmol/L TOR
Urea 9.8 3.0 - 10.0 mmol/L TOR
Creatinine 106 30 - 140 umol/L TOR
Sodium 147 143 - 155 mmol/L TOR
Potassium 4.2 3.9 - 5.7 mmol/L TOR

He is still not eating, I am suggested by friends to force feed satin balls when he becomes too weak, and he won't eat. Vet gives 3 days of meds( forgot the type) to increase appetite, he still doesn't pick up.

At the end of 2 weeks we go back and redo blood work, including a DNA test for ticks, negative, now blood has problems:

Bilirubin (Total) 13.1 £ 0 - 5.0 umol/L TOR
Bilirubin (Conj.) 8.8 £ 0 - 2.0 umol/L TOR
ALP 307 £ 24 - 141 IU/L TOR
ALT 1669 £ 5 - 95 IU/L TOR
AST 158 £ 5 - 71 IU/L TOR

so new diagnosis, Lepto....we are in an area frequently checked and we don't have it,(agricultural university checks ), but we do go other places. He had a lepto shot the year before we moved here, but not here. New meds: still the doxy, now Denosyl 850mg/day. Titers came back negative for Lepto but she feels that is because he had already been on doxy for 2 weeks.

He didn't want to eat at all and now has canned med food added. After a week on this combo he started picking up and ate a bit better, but only for 3-4 days, now stopping again. Next week, Tues we redo blood, she will decide if we are on the right course, if we need an ultra sound or what, I think we need to find something to stimulate him eating, she thinks we we should wait. My concern I am going away in Feb for 3 weeks, can't be canceled or changed with out a death or divorce!!!!~ He has never been kenneled, I don't want him off his food again and the added stress making him worse.
Does anyone have any suggestions?? He has perfect poops, never vomits, has been checked for parasites and she also had him on 5 days panacure with second meds in case of. He has never had a fever but has gone from about 80 pounds to 72, adn I bet he will have dropped another pound. He did get back a bit of energy the few days he ate, but we were careful to not throw his toys much, to conserve the energy. He has not been ill before, oh yeah he also had ear infections when we went in the second time, didn't have them the first time, so ear drops now too.

HELP PLEASE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,294 Posts
Are you giving probiotics/digestive enzymes?
I hope Lisa or Ruth will chime in, they are most knowlegable.
Prayers for Ty to heal and gain some needed weight. Can you get someone to possibly house-sit for you instead of putting him in a kennel environment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,301 Posts
I would seek a second opinion with an internist - this sounds like something you want to get a handle on more quickly, not guessing at.

I would also definitely be looking for someone to stay with him in February instead of kenneling.

Do you know what his GGT was (another liver value)? Liver is tough - there's a lot of things - better to have someone who looks at livers all day take a look here. The good thing, is it regenerates well.

Take care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,649 Posts
I wouldn't be satisfied with that diagnosis either, especially because his blood work and general health have not improved. What were his most recent kidney values? I would definitely be taking all of his test results and visiting a specialist. I have never heard of Lepto progressing so slowly but perhaps different strains act differently, I really don't know. Regardless, you need someone working with you who is doing more than guessing because anything that is affecting major organs is of major concern.

Also, I agree that an in-home sitter is much preferable to a kennel. I would look into getting a vet tech stay at your house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
Gah! This sounds so similar to what Shasta is going through right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have lined up 2 different home sitters but both backed out when I explained how ill he is,l afraid of either him worsening or becoming aggressive, he would never. I am giving him probiotics, I don't think there were more liver values, I will look at the forms again, Thanks for your care and concrn, i have been panicking and my friends adn his breeder and others are also trying to help, but it is so confusing, i will ask if there are specialists,
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top