German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure which way to go with this.

Ticks were never a big concern at our old place, but since moving here it seems that they're going to be an issue. (I opened the living room blinds this morning to see a doe and two young bucks right outside the windows.)

I've always tried to stay away from the Advantix and other pesticides, but I do plan to use them as long as we're living here.
I didn't know there was a lyme vaccine, but now that it's something to consider, has anyone had experience with it? Is it safe?

I have an appointment with our vet on the 7th, to talk to her about it, but I wanted to get some information/opinions about it before we go.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
I agree with Jean.
We live in an area where there are lots of trees and deer therefore we have ticks.
We use a repellant (like Advantix but not the same one) and therefore have no need for the lyme vaccine. I think it's overkill to do both. JMO.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm. Yeah, according to that article it sounds like the possible benefits are minimal at best and wouldn't outweigh the risks.

The Advantix alone should be enough then?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My dogs have received the Lyme disease vaccine so I don't use any external repellants which as Vinnie says is probably overkill. I haven't had any problems with my dogs reacting to the vaccination and I've found ticks on both of them.

I know there is a growing body of opinions and evidence going against a lot of the vaccinations that we're giving to our dogs but I know someone whose dog did contract Lyme disease and he became a shadow of himself from that point forward until he died so I don't take the threat lightly.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dogs have received the Lyme disease vaccine so I don't use any external repellants which as Vinnie says is probably overkill. I haven't had any problems with my dogs reacting to the vaccination and I've found ticks on both of them.

I know there is a growing body of opinions and evidence going against a lot of the vaccinations that we're giving to our dogs but I know someone whose dog did contract Lyme disease and he became a shadow of himself from that point forward until he died so I don't take the threat lightly.
See, that's the kind of thing that scares me. I'm one who isn't a big fan of unecessary vaccines, but the thought of them contracting Lyme and knowing that I could have done something that might have prevented it..? Ugh.

Fortunately our vet isn't one who's 'vaccine happy', so she wouldn't recommend it unless she trusts it. And she lives in the area, too, so maybe she'll have a better idea of what the actual risk of contraction is.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
See, that's the kind of thing that scares me. I'm one who isn't a big fan of unecessary vaccines, but the thought of them contracting Lyme and knowing that I could have done something that might have prevented it..? Ugh.
Did you read the article Jean posted?

Some quotes from the article; ( http://bakerinstitute.vet.cornell.edu/animalhealth/page.php?id=1101 )

How can the disease be prevented?
There are two approaches to preventing infection in dogs. One is to limit tick engorgement on dogs by controlling the tick population, using tick repellents, and/or grooming daily. The other is vaccination.
However, the vaccine does not protect against actual infection.
Interesting but they kind of make it sound like the vaccine isn't going to do much.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you read the article Jean posted?

Some quotes from the article; ( Baker Institute : Animal Health : Lyme Disease )

Interesting but they kind of make it sound like the vaccine isn't going to do much.
Yes, I read it. That's why I said 'might have done something to prevent it.'
Sorry I'm still debating whether or not to go with the vaccine. I'm not going to read one article and automatically and immediately decide against it. I'm trying to gather as much information and as many opinions as I can and then I'll decide.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I think it's personal preference and what your comfortable doing. When the vac first came out, many moons ago:)) I always vac'd my two, (now deceased dogs) they never contracted Lyme, nor any other tbd's and never had any reaction to the vac.

When I got my aussie who is an MDR1 dog (another long story), I decided to be much more careful about what I was doing to my dogs. The next two GSD's, had also by this time, gotten about 4 years of lyme vac's..I stopped, all of my dogs have never contracted Lyme, (and I live in Lyme ct:)) however, they ALL have contracted anaplasmosis (another tick disease of which there is no vac)...

My one male who passed away a year ago, always tested high for it, and we believe it led to his death. And on the 'flip' side, I know of quite a few who have NOT gotten the vac and unfortunately their dogs showed no clinical signs until they went straight into kidney failure, which by then was to late to save.

So, while it 'may' have it's use, it also may not. My vet has always told me, that they see more dogs WITH Lyme, that have NOT gotten the vac, vs dogs with Lyme, that DID have the vac.

But in the end, Lyme is nothing compared to the other Tick Borne Diseases of which there is no vac for..

Hope I haven't confused you..something to ponder anyhow
diane

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
So you don't worry about the dangers of lyme vaccinating a dog that has been exposed to lyme, which can cause chronic incurable lyme? And I believe may make it harder for actual lyme to show up on tests?

You don't use protection?

You don't worry about ehrlichia or anaplasmosa, both possibly fatal?

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever? Also possibly fatal?

Bartonella?? Babesia?? Or many of the other tick diseases that have not yet been quantified?

:(

You might want to explore some of the links in my signature.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Absolutely not on that vaccine. :thumbsdown:

And to anyone who thinks their dogs are protected by using that vaccine, please do more careful research! You're much better off keeping ticks off of your dogs than taking the risk of using a dangerous vaccination with minimal benefits, at best.

And I use Bug Off Garlic to keep the ticks off and in 6 years it's worked without a hitch (on 4 different dogs).

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Huge NAY. Steel's breeder vaccinated him for Lyme. He still got it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
thing is, not every tick carries Lymes. I found a tick on my son when he was 2 and had it tested, came back Neg. My brother in law had one on him last fall, it too came back neg.

I'm right outside of Pittsburgh, deep in to deer tick country. While PGH is only 15 min away, there are TONS of deer here... like you can see 5 and 6 or more at a time in my back yard quite often and daily in the winter there are fresh tracks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So you don't worry about the dangers of lyme vaccinating a dog that has been exposed to lyme, which can cause chronic incurable lyme? And I believe may make it harder for actual lyme to show up on tests?

You don't use protection?

You don't worry about ehrlichia or anaplasmosa, both possibly fatal?

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever? Also possibly fatal?

Bartonella?? Babesia?? Or many of the other tick diseases that have not yet been quantified?

:(

You might want to explore some of the links in my signature.
****, you brought up some good points. I guess I relied solely upon the vaccination and didn't think about what else is out there... I'll check the links out... Thanks.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My Vet says that the vaccines in conjunction with Frontline etc are 70% effective. I went for it after my dog acquired Lyme and couldn't even stand up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Okay, now that it's getting warmer and everyone has brought up that there is more to worry about than Lyme what else is effective besides Frontline? Does someone has a site where the different treatments are compared?

Thanks.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Okay, now that it's getting warmer and everyone has brought up that there is more to worry about than Lyme what else is effective besides Frontline? Does someone has a site where the different treatments are compared?

Thanks.
We use Frontline in conjunction with an Advantix collar which also provides about about a 70% rate of protection if I remember correctly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts