German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all!

Does anyone know what the symptoms of Lyme disease are in a dog? I'm paranoid, as Dieter has had a couple of ticks this year (unfortunately they started early, due to the weather we've had) and they got him before we were able to start his Advantix. He's not been overly interested in his food lately (but has been on the same one for a year and a half, and may be tired of it), but still has a ton of energy, playing like normal... I just want to be aware of it so that I'm not missing something!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Not sure what the signs are.
I found one on Brady (on his head) and have been using Advantix
anyway when it gets warmer out I see Brady doesn't eat much but still has same energy. If you are worried the vet can do a test
(we we firstgot our Lab we took he to vet and they did test she had Lyme disease) SHe was 2 and we only had her for 2 weeks and really didn't know her that well

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I did a quick search and found this site listing symptoms:
http://www.vintagegoldens.com/tick.htm
Symtoms can be so mild that you may not even notice them. The first time my dog was tested positive for Lyme, she wouldn't let anyone touch her on top of her head. Last year, my GSD had Ehrlichia. I never noticed any symptoms other than she was "a little off" which I attributed to her getting older.
I highly recommend getting the dog tested! I do it twice a year. Ask your vet to run a Snap 4dx test. They are simple, widely available, and inexpensive. The Snap 4dx tests for 2 different kinds of Ehrlichia, Lyme, and heartworm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts