German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a huge tick last night during bath time. This picture was from last night ( might be hard to tell ) but today it looks the same. He Issnt showing any symptoms. I'm starting to get worried that I let my dog get Lyme disease. :(

ImageUploadedByPG Free1372010935.649379.jpg

Let me know if I need to take a better picture.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
32,386 Posts
What kind of tick was it? Not all carry Lyme's. And, there are other tick diseases carried by different ticks out there so you should probably have him tested in 30 days.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
usually ticks will leave a nasty mark like that..I would put some bacitracin or neosporin type stuff on it, OR Vetericyn which I use for everything.

Usually the ticks that carry tick diseases (lyme isn't the only one), are so 'minute' you won't ever find them.

No sense in blood testing for it, to soon, won't show up ...Just keep an eye on him, and like Michelle said, if you are really worried, test him around 30 days.

·
Registered
423 Posts
This might make you feel a little better. I live in NJ. I work outside. I have had in my life hundreds of ticks. Sometimes you don't find then until there is a red puffed up welt (like last night). My GSD's have gotten ticks on them. Never developed into a problem. Over the years I have worked there had to be thousands of ticks co workers have gotten. Only one time has it ever been lyme disease....

What you can do. You get the tick and have that tested. If we want to bother at work (most times we never do). We get the tick and take it to someone. He looks at it under a microscope and identifies it. If it's a certain kind of tick. Then it is sent away to test....

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will keep an eye on him, thank you Michelle & Diane.

Fade - that does make me feel better. thank you! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts