German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a clients pup that is 7 months old come up with symtoms of lyme disease. She had her at her vet friday running a bunch of blood work, vet thought it could be lyme disease. Blood work results comes back Monday. Although the vet couldn't find any bites or ticks on her. She also breeds and was told by another breeder friend that if she has in fact she has lyme disease this take her out of a breeding program, which I have never heard of this before, but also never had lyme disease in our kennel before. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
well chuck I live in lyme ct,,no expert but I'm pretty familiar with the tick borne illnesses...

I would have done a SNAP 4 on the dog, not just a lyme test..The 4, includes canine erhlichiosis and equii erhlichiosis aka anaplasmosis, which we are seeing ALOT of around these parts vs Lyme...My 4 dogs all tested high positive for the EE and one of them, I can't seem to get rid of it or atleast lower the levels.

3 of them were not symptomatic the one is. There are also a ton of other tick diseases out there, babesia for another. which also seems to be more common in my area.

As for taking the dog out of a breeding program, I would ask why?
I have not heard it's something that can be passed on, its from a tick bite,,(and no you will most likely never ever find the tick or the tick bite spot since these ticks are so minute).

While I probably would not breed the dog at the time she was having full blown symptoms, if the dog was in remission (cause you can never really "cure" it, you can have symptomatic reoccurances)
/clean on a tick test, etc, I wouldn't hesitate to breed the dog..

Lisa T, here is a "tick person" as well, and hopefully she'll chime in.
diane

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
i actually have heard this about Lyme Disease, that it can be passed on if the mother has it. i guess it makes sense, because the pups are ingesting milk from the mother. i wish i could find the article i read on this a while back. i will take a look.........

debbie

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Lyme can be passed in utero:

http://www.johndrullelymefund.org/pregnancy_and_lyme_disease.htm

Hi Diane, here I am

No dog that has lyme, or has recently had lyme should be bred.

Some would say that since lyme is never rid from the body, the dog should never be bred...

On the tick list, there are a number of dogs that have associated high cholesterol levels -- it's a bit of a mystery. There is a tick disease, I can't remember which, that feeds off of cholesterol. On the tick list, you can probably find info in the archives.

High cholesterol can also be a sign of thyroid dsyfunction. That may or may not be related to the tick disease.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
hey lisa,,well I learn something new via these nasty ticks every day,,,I really should join that tick list..thanks for the updating,,and I'll definately keep that in my folder:)))
diane

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Mystic's tests came back yesterday and the results were negitive, so she had a xray done today and it is just a case of Pano. I told this client that I thought she should find another vet cause he told her yesterday that to let him know when her meds run out and if the symtom still exist than he will do other tests. So she brought her to another vet today and they exrayed her and said it was pano.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I can see where they can cause the same symptoms.

I hope that they keep in mind that test for tick diseases are *extremely * unreliable. I also hope that they saw the xray and the vet completely explained why he came to the conclusions that he did.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: JakodaCD OAhey lisa,,well I learn something new via these nasty ticks every day,,,I really should join that tick list..thanks for the updating,,and I'll definately keep that in my folder:)))
diane
I just learned about the cholesterol thing this summer. Unfortunately, with these icky ticks, always something to learn

·
Registered
330 Posts
what is prognosis for positive testing of EE and CE- A new dog we were purchasing here in Connecticut and bonded to over the last week, has tested + and will have more tests tomorrow- she doesnt want to eat!
The vet cancelled her appt for spaying.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
hi armauro,,,getting another pooch?? good for you!

All of mine have tested postive for EE,,all were treated with heavy doses of doxy a good 3 months..Only ONE is still coming up high positive (and this has been going on now over a year!)..I am planning on retesting him in another month,,I am giving it 6mths from ending last treatment,,if he's still high positive,,I'm looking into a different form of treatment..

Do you think her lack of eating has anything to do with the EE & CE? as in , does she have a temp????

Doxy is the drug of choice, but my vet likes to hit it high dose and hard, longer term than say a couple of weeks. to try and knock the readings down ..

Not to be nosey and you don't have to tell me,,what vet are you using?? I am in Old Lyme and use Chester Vets..

Diane

·
Registered
330 Posts
My vet is in Orange Ct we know him from our club in Branford- he is doing tests on both dogs and will probably put her on doxy for 21 days he said tonight. We dont own this dog as yet- we took her for a trial run from my males Schutzhund trainer in Mansfield- she could pass the BH now-she has an lab personality- so nice- but wont bite so couldnt go further in Sch. We would have to renegotiate her price with these med issues- just dont know what the future holds- she is not symtomatic but is positive...Our male is an awesome dog...

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Our Client brought their dog to our vet for tests due to their vet saying it could be Lyme disease and the tests came back negitive. Our vet took one look and took a x-ray and came to concludtion that it was PANO. How could their vet think it was Lyme disease in the first place is beyond me.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
armauro,,if the vet will write you a prescription,,I get my doxy from KV Vet supply,,very very reasonable,,in fact I get a bottle of 100 to keep on hand..

Doxy isn't that expensive to begin with, but these tick diseases are a pain to deal with..Good luck with her ! and glad your boy is turning out nicely too
diane

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: armaurowhat is prognosis for positive testing of EE and CE- A new dog we were purchasing here in Connecticut and bonded to over the last week, has tested + and will have more tests tomorrow- she doesnt want to eat!
The vet cancelled her appt for spaying.
I think the key is a high enough dose of doxy, for a sufficient amount of time when first treating is really important.

The aggressive dose recommended is 5 mg/lb twice a day. Many vets start with half that. I tend to agree with a longer treatement too, maybe a couple of months, depending on symtoms.

Tick diseases can have a lot of implications for the gut, and so can the treatment, so I'm not surprised that she doesn't want to eat.

You might want to consider signing up for the tick list, although some dogs are lucky and clear right up. The ones that end up on the list, are the tough cases. So if you do go there and read the archives, there is a wealth of information, and a lot of worst case scenarios, and a lot of success stories. What you don't see there are the easy cases, so i don't have a good sense of how many of the cases are "easy".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts