German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just finished Lyka’s vet appointment and I couldn’t be happier with the news, but it’s not all good news. They had previously drawn blood and tissue samples because she was no longer able to control her bladder, and they were testing for cancers. She is 100% cancer free, which is the super duper great news! She actually has stage 1 vaginal prolapse, which was likely caused by the many litters she had. Usually a prolapse will inhibit urination, but my girl has never been the standard for the norm. It is apparently causing pressure on a spot I can’t even begin to pronounce or spell, but a simple surgery will correct it.

That’s the hard part. At her age, she is at an increased risk of death during surgery. So hubs and I will have to have a long talk when he gets home about the pros vs cons. And if anyone has experience with seniors being put under for surgery, I would love to hear your stories and outcomes!

They are also going to change brands and dosage for her arthritis in her hips. She’s on Rimadyl, and they are going to change her to Deramaxx. They said that she give her far better relief, and could help increase her activity level.

My girl has never been over 56lbs, and she’s managed to pack on the pounds these last few months. She weighted in today at a whooping 67 pounds. That’s certainly not doing her hips any good. They suggested water exercise, which I would normally be thrilled at, but she has been terrified of water since I got her. Sprinklers, hoses, lakes, streams, our pool. Sigh. I’m going to order her a water vest if I can find one big enough for her tubby belly, and hope and pray that she will feel more confident in the water. Any suggestions on how to ease her into it would also be great! We have a walk in pool, so that’s not an issue, I just need some tips on how to ease her nerve wise into the pool.

So all in all, some really great news, some concerning news, and some “oh bleep, how am I going to get her into the pool,” news.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Years ago we had a husky mix that needed surgery at 9 yrs old and did very well with anesthesia recovery. He was over weight and sick due to cancer. So not very far along in years but in the higher risk bracket due to health.

I'm really happy your girl got the all clear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts