German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stark and Zefra got to attend a fun "try it" day at a local club. We tried lure coursing for the first time (not usually offered to other breeds in Canada).

I believe I have official "lure coursing junkies" on my hands. Both dogs did wonderful and will be now trialing at the next event. Oh boy, what have I started! ;)

Stark

Zefra

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Stella did a little lure coursing at a Doggie Fun Zone charity event a few weeks ago...... She loved it. I wish there was someplace close by to do it on a regular basis....

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
BEST SPORT EVER! Congrats! I'm sure we'll see you back in a month posting about your CAX titles, haha! :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
That's awesome!!! Man I wish we lived anywhere that had cool stuff like that!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am hoping to get their titles at the next event now that the club is offering them to other breeds. :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That's awesome!!! Man I wish we lived anywhere that had cool stuff like that!
Hmmm. There has to be SOME lurecoursing club near you! I know of a judge from up that way. There aren't many of them around... I bet there's a place tucked away somewhere.

It's super addictive when you have dogs that love it so much. And OP, great job with the photography! All the CA/CAA pics I have of my dogs are blurs. :blush:

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This place has been around forever, but just opened it's doors to non-racing breeds which is awesome! :)

I have to give my sister and best friend credit for the photo's.... I was too busy holding back the crazy dogs! ;)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
For non-sighthounds it's easy. You run clean 3 times under 3 different judges and you get a CA. You run clean another 12 times you get a CAX. I'd hoped to do a CAX this year but there aren't enough events in my area to complete 12 so we should have 9 Qs from this May and June and will have to finish it next spring unless someone adds and event in the fall. Those are the UKC titles but I think AKC is the same. Since they are not sighthounds they just have to finish the run. I believe it is timed but if the dog is chasing the lure there's no chance they wouldn't finish in time. I think in AKC they might run a shorter course for tiny dogs. On one of Pan's qualifying runs, I had to walk halfway out, down him, and restart him because the equipment malfunctioned but they didn't hold it against us, they just let me restart him where it had died. It's generally something dogs do or they don't. I've never trained for it, just set my dog down on the start line and when they say "tally ho!" you let go.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What Lies said. ;)

The dogs just had to complete the run.. which... it super easy if your dogs like to run and chase stuff... LOL. I had a hard time holding my dogs back while watching the other runs!!! LOL

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
For non-sighthounds it's easy. You run clean 3 times under 3 different judges and you get a CA. You run clean another 12 times you get a CAX. I'd hoped to do a CAX this year but there aren't enough events in my area to complete 12 so we should have 9 Qs from this May and June and will have to finish it next spring unless someone adds and event in the fall. Those are the UKC titles but I think AKC is the same. Since they are not sighthounds they just have to finish the run. I believe it is timed but if the dog is chasing the lure there's no chance they wouldn't finish in time. I think in AKC they might run a shorter course for tiny dogs. On one of Pan's qualifying runs, I had to walk halfway out, down him, and restart him because the equipment malfunctioned but they didn't hold it against us, they just let me restart him where it had died. It's generally something dogs do or they don't. I've never trained for it, just set my dog down on the start line and when they say "tally ho!" you let go.

Thanks! So a clean run just means the dog runs all the way around right? My pit does about 3 runs a year at a huge dog event. He loves it! I just never thought you could title in it. Huh! I have never tried it with the GSD's but I'm sure they would chase it.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Yeah once they figured it out you are DONE for! Nikon has a specific harness just so I can restrain him while he's waiting for his turn. The second time he lure coursed he barked while another dog was running. The third time, he barked anytime he saw the lure move. The fourth time, he barked any time he was within sight or earshot of the lure mechanism. Now, he barks when we enter the fairground where the lure coursing is held (way in the back 40). Maybe next year he'll start barking when we get off at exit 44!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Thanks! So a clean run just means the dog runs all the way around right? My pit does about 3 runs a year at a huge dog event. He loves it! I just never thought you could title in it. Huh! I have never tried it with the GSD's but I'm sure they would chase it.
Yes you can now. Nikon was doing it before they offered titles as well. Now some clubs even do two a day (different courses and different judges). Usually I run Nikon a third time (pay for a "fun run") just to get it out of his system. The only con is that the entry fees are much higher for the real deal. $25 vs. $3 for a fun run, same course.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have video of them but am waiting for my friend to send them to me. :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lies, Stark was the same way!!! He barked when he heard the machine and then after when we entered the field it was on! LOL

Zefra came out of the crate thinking it was protection time with all the dogs barking... LOL.. when she realized what it was her face lite up and she was all gun ho for it! LOL

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
It's really fun to just let them do it. It's Nikon's favorite thing. He doesn't know he's not a greyhound. The club that does our events (actually based out of Ontario I think) is really nice. They all know him by name now. Since I live in the city there's nowhere I can replicate anything like it, just letting the dog *chase* something long and hard. When he's done he no longer bites at the lures, just trots over to me and lets me attach the leash with this goofy grin on his face. The title just proves my dog knows how to have a good time and not just be trained to do a bunch of things but also just be a DOG :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Which harness do you use? And which club? I think the one I work with does A LOT of events in the states - may be the same one.

They said they don't usually wear harnesses because it can hinder the dog, but holding my dogs back by the collars are HARD! I wouldn't mind a harness but would like it to be light and not hinder movement.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts