German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can people who run or have run a lure course tell me what the best equipment is and any other in-and-out tips for setting up a lure course? For example, what to charge for a run? Do you do like 6 week classes or is it always just by a run? I know snow-fencing is used, however, is this the best type of fencing from a safety and expensive perspective? Best length and width of the course area. Things like this.

I know Lauri(and the gang) runs one and travels around the state. However, I am interested in having a permanent course on my farm for my dog, friends dogs and to charge for area customers.

Any help would be, well, helpful! :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
What a great idea! Plus, it would be so easy to have a judge come in and you can hold CATs for non-sighthound breeds. ;)

I hope you find your answers. I was looking at equipment at one point and, besides being overwhelming, it looks very expensive.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I've done UKC coursing with two GSDs. From the club that always hosts the events I know they are required to have a certain square footage available. They have to change the course for each qualifying run but often will just reverse the course halfway through the day when they're offering two meets per day. I don't think they are required to have the area completely fenced because I know it hasn't always been (hence why I cannot run my dog Coke), but if it is completely fenced you might get more entries if you advertize as such. We pay $20-$25 per qualifying run (UKC) and I think they usually charge $5-$8 for "fun runs". I don't know anything about the actual equipment, sorry!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Liesje! I see I will have to research this some more. Originally, I thought I would be just doing this for fun and to provide people with another way to exercise and stimulate their dogs. But I should look into it for competition too! I need to get a hold of Lauri(and the gang). I was hoping more people on this forum would be involved in Lure Coursing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
for non sighthound breeds you could probably get away with less land, but probably 5-20 acres depending on the length of the course. 5 acres would be pushing it really, unless it's just a short practice course.
Injoy used to make coursing equipment, it was the standard for many years. The machine used a 60's ford pickup starter motor and deep cycle batteries, you can still find these used occasionally. Another company that has some very nice looking equipment is wicked coursing. They've got some really cool small practice machines and pulleys, and sell complete setups. The NGA used to sell a kit call a jack a lure, which was the machine in a box with wheels for transport. It was for a straight line drag run, with a take up reel. That's the safest, though not as convenient as the continuous loop. If you run the lure yourself, try to get some training from a lure operator, because it can be dangerous. A continuous loop line will cut through achilles tendons like butter, and you can even get some nasty line burns yourself if a dog grabs a drag lure and tries to run off with it, when you are touching the line.
Check out the wicked coursing website. I have an older machine from a company in germany that made suitcase lure machines that were quite small, not sure if they are still making them, and my mind is blank right now what the name of the company was. My machine is in storage, but it was in a small case and had a handheld remote control like the ones used for RC cars. I could load my dog in the starting box, spring the box and run the lure all at the same time so I could practice by myself.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
You could try posting on the UKC forums. It's not GSD specific obviously but there is a pretty active lure coursing club that runs official meets for sighthounds, CAs for all breed, and fun runs at a lot of the UKC events around here and they've always seemed very talkative in person. They've explained the equipment and setup to me before but since I'm not really involved other than attending their events, it kind of went in one ear and out the other. I think they are called the United Greyhound Club. I don't know if they have a web site or contact but you could also try running a query on the UKC events site for upcoming events and usually one of their club's contact info is listed.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Liesje and Fastdogs. I can see that the 5 acres is one hangup. I have 5 acres available but i'm using that as part of a tracking field. hmmm. Also the danger issue is scary and so I need to talk with some operators and decide if this really is something I want to have available. I know that Minka had a great time when she ran last year. OK thanks everybody!! I will be doing more thinking on this subject. And I appreciate the replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts