German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Lupo Italiano is a dog that is basically a German Shepherd with the snout of a wolf.

Its unique in that the breeding and development of the breed was overseen by the Italian government. The name translates to "Italian Wolf" - they are beautiful dogs - you could be mistaken for imagining you're seeing a GSD!

Information on the history of the dog can be found here:

http://dogbreeds.bulldoginformation.com/lupo-italiano.html

"You cannot find it for sale - its a state dog and its only use is as a working dog with the Italian government service:

The Lupo Italiano is a wolf-dog hybrid resulting from the cross between a German Shepherd dog and a she-wolf. The breed is protected by presidential decree stipulating that this 'State' dog can not be commercialized nor bred outside the officially recognized agency, the Etli, Ente Tutela del Lupo Italiano (Agency For The Protection Of The Lupo Italiano)."

This is the all-black version. A strikingly handsome dog! In Italy, they used extensively in SAR work.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Governmental programme probably was intended to create a new breed.
Shepherd Dogs and wolf-like dogs
The US military ran a similar program to create the American Tundra Shepherd:

American Tundra Shepherd Dog

"This working breed is descended from wolf hybrids created for the U.S. Army by Frank Catania, a Military dog trainer and veterinary technician in the late 1960's. By crossing wolves with military-bred German Shepherd Dogs, Catania intended to establish a superior working animal for service use in Korea and Vietnam. The Government initially supported this breeding programme, but after years of trying to create consistently larger and stronger sentry dogs posessing a higher prey drive and free of hereditary health problems associated with the GSD breed, the experiment was abandoned as unsuccessful.

In 1976, a number of GSD breeders interested in increasing size and improving health of their dogs began using the leftover stock of genetically superior Military Wolfdogs. Some fanciers weren't content with simply improving the GSD and it was decided that the American Tundra Shepherd Dog should be established as a separate breed. These powerful dogs have been bred to a consistent type ever since.

The American Tundra Wolfdog is reportedly much healthier than the GSD and is an even-tempered, trainable and resilient working breed. This massive canine is completely devoted to its owner and aloof with strangers, making a good property guardian. Intelligent, energetic and athletic, the ATSD makes a capable competitor in dog sports like Agility and Obedience trials.

The coat is thick, harsh and fully weatherproof, coming in a variety of natural wolf shades, as well as common GSD colourings. Average height is around 32 inches."

Its a very rare breed. If you want a dog that looks like a GSD - get a GSD! They're easier to acquire. :wub:

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
so who has - N O T - done a GSD , wolf hybrid --

Czech, Dutch, Italian , American , China (Kunming dog)

what did Einstein say? ""Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

maybe these people should compare notes

·
Registered
3,405 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

what did Einstein say? ""Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Every one has to improve on the GSD! I don't think its really in need of overly dramatic improvement. The perfect shepherd dog simply doesn't exist. One would think after the dissolution of the Phylax Society and the appearance of the GSD, those kinds of arguments were settled.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts

Snort! But comparing notes wouldn't give someone the opportunity to think they can do it better than anyone else!
Sheilah

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According "to the list" this is a breed originating in a cross of GSD and Husky type dogs. Perhaps you misunderstood when the "wolfish" appearance of the head was mentioned?
Sheilah

We're already had a thread awhile back about the Russian upgrade to the GSD -

"The East-European Shepherd, often called the Russian German Shepherd, is a Soviet dog variation of the German Shepherd. This Russian dog breed is larger and heavier built than its German ancestor. It has a powerful and muscular frame, a massive head with dark, oval shaped eyes, and long, vertical ears. Its medium length double coat is more dense to allow this Russian dog withstand cold winters. The usual coat colors are black, black and tan, black and red, brown, gray and red, sable, sometimes with a dark facial mask."

Some people want a dog that looks like a wolf. Others want a hardier working dog. Every country seems to have found its own use for a GSD that exceeds the current breed requirements and not all of them turned out to be successful.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Every one has to improve on the GSD!
GSD like any other breed suffers degeneration. THere is a term called "hybrid vigor", by creating new breeds it is possible to improve existing ones. Breeding programmes include possibility of crossbreeding GSD types to bring in fresh blood. There is something has to be done to fight displosia, for instance.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GSD like any other breed suffers degeneration. THere is a term called "hybrid vigor", by creating new breeds it is possible to improve existing ones. Breeding programmes include possibility of crossbreeding GSD types to bring in fresh blood. There is something has to be done to fight displosia, for instance.
I was advised of this when I adopted my GSD. At the time, I realized life doesn't come with guarantees - not for dogs or for any of us. If she gets hip dysplasia later in life, time will have caught up to her. Now I have a healthy dog! Sure you can try to create healthier dogs through bringing in fresh genetic material to reinforce breed vigor but it also has its drawbacks, too.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
"Temperament-wise the Lupo Italiano is extremely lively, with fierce and independent character. Training methods based on flattery or punishment will be ineffective with this breed; the Lupo Italiano only obeys if he is convinced that it is the right thing to do. It is very aloof and distrustful of strangers, though very affectionate with his human family or handler with whom it will develop a very exclusive relationship. He will be very protective of the persons and objects he has under his custody."

That doesn't sound fun at all. And this is exactly why these combinations have never worked for any country that tried.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Temperament-wise the Lupo Italiano is extremely lively, with fierce and independent character. Training methods based on flattery or punishment will be ineffective with this breed; the Lupo Italiano only obeys if he is convinced that it is the right thing to do. It is very aloof and distrustful of strangers, though very affectionate with his human family or handler with whom it will develop a very exclusive relationship. He will be very protective of the persons and objects he has under his custody."

That doesn't sound fun at all. And this is exactly why these combinations have never worked for any country that tried.

That's the GSD ancestry. GSDs tend to naturally be close to the person they bond with and they're not inclined to make immediate friends with strangers. Same with the LP. If you're looking for a dog that is overly friendly, a shepherd type dog probably isn't a good fit!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That's the GSD ancestry. GSDs tend to naturally be close to the person they bond with and they're not inclined to make immediate friends with strangers. Same with the LP. If you're looking for a dog that is overly friendly, a shepherd type dog probably isn't a good fit!
I'm talking more on the part with training. I like a dog that I can train. Biddable, eager to train with me. The wolf is not one of those.

I own a GSD that is aloof to strangers. Except kids. And I'm her world. That's not what I was referring to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts