German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first brought Luna home, she was 8 weeks old. We were told she was a golden retriever lab mix. However I had my doubts. We did end up doing a DNA test on her and found her to be 70% German Shepherd and 30% Golden Retriever. I've never met anyone with a dog of these breed mixes. I am excited to see what she ends up looking like. When we first got her, she was fluffy, however now her hair seems so be medium length and her legs are starting to feather. She is four months old as of June 1st, and already weights 35 pounds! She is very smart and very treat motivated. I am wondering if anyone else has met a Golden Shepherd before, I am curious as to what her fur length will be, or how big she will grow. She does have detached rear dew claws. (I can wiggle her dew claws and there is no bone keeping them in place) is this normal for German Shepherds?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
She is a cutie she looks like a shepherd golden mix. I had a shepherd collie golden mix. He had a black face with a golden body with feathering. Luna looks like she will have a short coat but really hard to tell. Not common but gsds can get rear dewclaws. Often any pups with rear dewclaws are removed when they are born. Have fun with her!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there any tricks with bonding with her? This seems like dumb question but my other dog and I are bonded very well. I am trying to play games with Luna and play with toys but she seems more interested in playing with my other dog. Also! Are there any tricks in getting her interested in playing fetch with a ball outside? She will fetch maybe three times and bring it back most of the time but she gets bored and will just watch the ball role away.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
You need to keep your puppy and your older dog separated. As long as she has another dog to play with, you will only be seen as the kibble dispenser. It is normal for some puppies to want to bond to other dogs over people, after all, the other dog speaks her language. This is one of the main reasons responsible breeders will not place two puppies in the same home, and why dogs in a household should be well spaced apart.

I usually recommend keeping your puppy separated from your older dog 90% of the day. Let her have one or two supervised play sessions a day. The rest of the time it is one-on-one with you, and crates/baby-gates, one inside, one outside routine. When you crate Luna, crate her where she can't see your other dog.

Also look up videos about Engagement Training to build the bond. Does Luna like to play tug? Get a ball on a rope and when she brings back the ball to you, grab the rope and play tug! She'll get in the habit to bring you the ball to play with you, and that is part of the engagement you want to develop.

PS: I deleted your other thread as it was just the same question as above.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had the same issue, my puppy would rather play with the older dog. I crate the puppy play with the older one and reverse it for the puppy. I let them play together around 3 times a day sometimes more or less depends on what's going on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts