German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and my wife did a test today we left luna who is 5 months old alone for a bit we had cameras setup to see her and we could talk to her if needed, for the 20 mins we here gone she slept on the recliner LOL. Wife was kinda mad thought she would do more. Who else has a 5 month old who is good being left alone for short amount of time? Side question anyone know why a golden retriever would lick a german shepherd ear, and i do mean lick she gets very deep into her ear. The german shepherds ear is fine we checked it.

·
Super Moderator
5,874 Posts
I'd only do it with cameras and voice control like you did,lol!My dogs lick each other's ears sometimes too.Why I don't know.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I have an 80 lbs GSD and a 5-8 lbs Chihuahua. The Chihuahua constantly is putting his whole muzzle in my GSDs ears and licking them clean. The GSD has never had any ear problems, so it isn't that. I just think it's a social behavior they both seem to enjoy...who knows!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,874 Posts
Tim that is adorable!A few years back we had a cat that would just lay there and purr while the dog licked his ears and got his head all wet during the process.Pretty funny.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
It is really cute. Nyx will pause and then turn her head the other way to let him clean the other ear. Then he'll lick her eyes. Often she reciprocates by cleaning his too, but it's always initiated by the Chihuahua.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Licking one another's ear is a social expression of affection between dogs.
When I first learned about this I would rub my Lab's ear and I'm certain she understood it in the same method. In any case, they love it!

No need to worry about it as a sign of infection.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I bottle raised a litter of feral kittens. They used to put their whole head inside my GSD's big ears, and lick them. Tasha would scrunch up her face at their rough little tongues, but otherwise put up with it.

It the kitties got to bee too much for her, she'd pin them to the floor with her paw, and start licking THEM! :laugh2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tasha would scrunch up her face at their rough little tongues, but otherwise put up with it.

It the kitties got to bee too much for her, she'd pin them to the floor with her paw, and start licking THEM! :laugh2:
:grin2: You have a patient pup! Take a look at what she was dealing with! :surprise:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Angel loves Luna, just making sure the ear licking isnt anything bad. I saw Luna doing it a few times but Angel does it far more often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts