German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a few month since posting here. Luna is now 7 month and a real beauty (if I may say so myself).

Only problem we have now is digging. I just counted 19, yes 19 holes in my small backyard. Any suggestions how to stop this. Of course it only happens when she is alone and bored, so I have never had a chance to correct it right on the spot.

Jesper

She loves to chase the ball :)

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
She is gorgeous!

My parents had an elderly golden retriever that would dig. My mom put pepper and poop in the holes, and she quit digging. I know that sounds so strange and I haven't heard of it anywhere else, but it might work. However, I don't think that an elderly golden retriever is quite as tenacious as a seven month old GSD. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Little chance of stopping it if she is in the yard unsupervised.

I have found that outright stopping natural behavior rarely works, I have had much better luck redirecting to more appropriate outlets for said behavior. :)

My miner dog has since passed but what worked for him was giving him a sand box/dig spot in a back corner of the yard. Every time he dug in the area i was trying to keep nice, I would tell him no and bring him to his sand box and encourage him to dig there instead. Lots of praise when he did. After a while he left the lawn alone. I would refresh his spot every 6 months or so by adding a few new bags of sand or when I repotted my plants I dumped the spent dirt there.

And I agree - good looking dog!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts