German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My wife and I are new gsd puppy owners. Our Koda is now 11 weeks old and we are super paranoid about every lump and bump we find on him so we are constantly googling things and this forum has been a great help! We decided to join to get more opinions before running to the vet for every small thing (like the scab we found on his armpit ?).

Today we found a new thing on his underbelly area. It looks almost like a pimple but I'm not sure. Any one have any idea of what it might be before we call the vet again?

Thanks,
Koda's overly paranoid dog parents ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
I'd clean it and put a little antibiotic cream on it. Only a very little. You don't want the pup licking it. Then keep an eye on it. If it gets worse you know to call the vet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I completely understand where you’re coming from. I still think it’s best to have it checked out by a vet to be sure to rule it out. I hope I can ease your worries a bit until you get to the vet. When my german shep was a puppy I discovered a similiar pimple like bump. I brought her to the Vet and was told it was a sebaceous cyst. The Vet confirmed it by scraping it / looking at it under the microscope. She said it was an overproduction of oil from a sebaceous gland. She said they can grow and break open or go away on their own. Fast forward a few months later I found a firm movable lump near my gsd’s armpit. I made an appointment with the vet but prior to the appt I noticed it was gone but right where it had been she had matted sticky fur. I cancelled the appointment and kept the area clean. I checked with the breeder and she said it’s fairly common with German shepherds to have sebaceous cysts. If I had it removed before it burst it doesn’t guarantee it won’t come back. Since then she had one other quarter size cyst that bursts. She hasn’t had any infections but I make sure to keep the area clean.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts